Any idea which one is my cream legbar? Day old chicks

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I got 4 chicks today (hatched yesterday) and 2 look very similar. I know one of these is a cream Legbar and one is a Partridge Olive Egger (My pet chicken Exclusive). The photo of the partridge olive egger on the MPC website is very similar to a pullet leg bar. Anyone able to tell the difference?

IMG_2751.jpeg
IMG_2752.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg

I got 4 chicks today (hatched yesterday) and 2 look very similar. I know one of these is a cream Legbar and one is a Partridge Olive Egger (My pet chicken Exclusive). The photo of the partridge olive egger on the MPC website is very similar to a pullet leg bar. Anyone able to tell the difference?
Based on the descriptions on the MPC website, I do not think there would be any way to tell the difference at this age, and there might not be any way to tell until they start laying eggs.

As they grow feathers, a Cream Legbar should get a bit of crest behind the comb. If just one chick gets a crest, that is probably the Legbar. But sometimes people get Legbars with no crest, and I there might be a chance of an Olive Egger growing a crest too, so looking for a crest might not actually be helpful.

Based on the descriptions on the MPC website, I do not think there would be any way to tell the difference at this age, and there might not be any way to tell until they start laying eggs.

As they grow feathers, a Cream Legbar should get a bit of crest behind the comb. If just one chick gets a crest, that is probably the Legbar. But sometimes people get Legbars with no crest, and I there might be a chance of an Olive Egger growing a crest too, so looking for a crest might not actually be helpful.
Thanks. I don’t think the partridge olive egger should have a crest. But you’re probably right about not being able to tell right now.

I vote #1 is the legbar. They are more of a gray chipmunk. I’ve had grayish chipmunks, yellow/brown chipmunks, and more orange-ish/brown chipmunks. The legbars end up being the gray, the PBB and olive Egger were the hybrids.

3 weeks old today. Is this the start of a crest? If so then I think I have my answer. This is chick number 2 from the previous photos. Im also beginning to suspect chick number 1 is a cockerel which would also make it highly unlikely to be the legbar
IMG_3012.jpeg
IMG_3010.jpeg

I think you're right, as you stated, if this was a Cockerel the coloration would be evident at hatching, and yes your other little one looks like a cockerel to me too.
Were you wanting a Cockerel or did you order all Pullets?

I think you're right, as you stated, if this was a Cockerel the coloration would be evident at hatching, and yes your other little one looks like a cockerel to me too.
Were you wanting a Cockerel or did you order all Pullets?
Only pullets. I can’t have a rooster here unfortunately. The hatchery will refund me after 14 weeks if they got it wrong, so that’s good, but it does stink because I really wanted that breed in my flock.

But I suppose that’s how chickens go…

Hopefully cream legbar will be my next addition . Aren't the males distinguishable at birth? I was thinking that was one of my reasons for wanting but now I can't remember what the male feature was.

Hopefully cream legbar will be my next addition . Aren't the males distinguishable at birth? I was thinking that was one of my reasons for wanting but now I can't remember what the male feature was.
Yes they are. That’s why I’m pretty certain at this point the one I think is male is NOT the legbar. My photo from earlier today is the legbar. I think that’s her little crest coming in 😊

Back
Top Bottom