HELP I can't figure out who is who...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by watersoflethe, Jul 24, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    I have 3 red 9 week pullets running around.
    2 of them are red sex links
    and one is a rhode island red.
    i used to be able to tell them apart but now they got a lot older when i was away on a trip for 2 weeks. and they also got very stressed and pulled a lot of feathers out...
    but due to zoning issues i need to downsize my flock and am trying to sell these 3 pullets.
    the problem is... i can't seem to figure out which is which..
    can anyone tell me the main differences between these two breeds at around 9 weeks of age?

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

RSL should be a lighter red and possibly have white in it, I believe. I'm no RSL person in the least, but I recall from photos. A good quality RIR will be a deep, dark, mahogany red.

3. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I agree--my RSL usually have a few white feathers someplace but tend to be a lighter red than the RIR.

RIR Pullet
    [​IMG]

RSL Pullet both the same age
    [​IMG]

4. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I third that [​IMG] My Red Star, even now, is a LOT lighter than my miniature RIR

5. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    I don't have RIRs, but my RSLs had a few white feathers by 3 weeks I think. Mine are the same color red as Woodmort's, but don't have nearly as many white feathers. (That's a beautiful SS, by the way!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by