Help! I can't find the guinea nests.

1st_chicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
Everyday around 12:00 my guineas would go to the barn to lay, and i would find seven eggs. Then on Saturday my guineas stopped laying in the barn and now everyday at 12:00 they go to 20 acres of spiny thorny sharp blackberry bushes all stuck together in one big forest. I bet they are laying there. :( you can barely walk there without getting pinned by a hundreds of thorns at once. today is spent three hours following my guineas around the forest. (well i tried but i couldn't keep up.) I couldn't find a single nest. i went back home covered in thorns and scratches. Help!!!!

good luck. soon you may be able to tell us just how cute are guinea babies
jumpy.gif

I suggest writing off those missing eggs and start leaving them in the coop/pen until the Hens lay each day, then let them out to free range after you can see that they've all laid. You may have to skip a day of letting them free range every now and then because some of them will lay too late in the day (my Hens lay a little later and later each day until they skip a day). I do this with my breeding flocks, and egg collecting is a piece of cake. The flock complains, but it definitely it beats getting scratched up. (I'm making this suggestion assuming that you coop your flock each night... if you don't coop them at night and they sleep in the trees.... well then happy egg hunting, and be sure to wear thick, protective clothing, lol).

mine usually lay between noon and four pm. they stay cooped up until four then i let them out, they usually lay in the pen. I cut a big hole in a 55 gallon plastic barrel and they ALL use that as a nesting box. when they start setting I put another barrel in for them to lay.

Back
Top Bottom