Help! I can't part with ANY of my chickens!

farmin'chick :

Well, I think that when you first get into chickens, you just find yourself WAY more enchanted with them than you ever expected. And you also find that they can be way more WORK than you expected, on a day to day, year round, all weather basis, and that to have healthy chickens, you have to feed, medicate when appropriate, and supervise and protect them. So, I don't think there's anything wrong with encouraging people to get more. I have the facilities and the space, and I hit a high of around 300, but I am in the process of reducing the number of breeds AND the number of birds I have -- I'm down to around 175 now and will be smaller soon. It has given me great joy to be able to GIVE people birds to start their little flocks, to sell some great specimens to some, to trade for others to solidify my prospective breeding groups, and to have a ton of eggs to sell, give away, and donate to charity... I think people will soon arrive at a point where they realize they really want one or two PARTICULAR breeds right now, and will be able to reduce their numbers of birds, or that they ONLY like raising little chicks to bigger birds and then it's not fun for them anymore, so they will choose to raise a fast growing meat bird perhaps...

I want to end up with a nice flock of around 50 layers to have 30 eggs or so a day most of the year, and some specialty birds for heritage breeding, and some "fun" birds which for me are Silkies and Bantam Cochins. Having had LOTS of different birds, I am more satisfied that I can choose which breeds and types I will be happiest with.

So, yes, some people are limited on space, facilities, time, budget, etc. and should only have a few. But for as much joy as they bring me, mine have all been worth it.

I agree. I started with 2 RIR and 2 EE's. Then I wanted all these other kinds, then all these fancy ones. I've went through hundreds this year, in like 20+ breeds. But now in the winter, ice and snow. I am deciding you know what. Keeping over 100 chickens at a time isn't fun. I will be downsizing in the spring. The hard part is to pick which ones stay and which goes. But trying out different breeds, has made me decide which ones I like, and which I don't. Even with downsizing, I will still be breeding.

Brahmas in several colors
BLRW
Cochins in several colors
Silkies in several colors
EE's

After you have more chickens then just a flock. It's more of a job then a hobby anymore. And I found out just how hard it is to keep hundreds of chickens, and goats, and cats, and pigs, and donkeys, and horses, and ducks all healthy and happy at the same time.

I love my animals. But I will be downsizing. In fact someone is coming to pick up a horse today.
tongue.png
Which I was especially glad for, when she busted the fence down and got out again at 7 this morning.
wink.png

Dont feel bad, there was a point in time about 5 years ago where I had well over 400 chickens. That was including breeders and young birds I was growing off. Scaled back after that year and got rid of alot of our varieties. Not uncommon to see well established breeders raise 500 to a 1000 chicks a year though.
And if you have the facilities and the time(which you will need a lot of to care for that many birds) go right ahead. It got to be a little too much for us.
Plus once you have 90 grown birds the feed bill is going to make up your mind for you pretty quick also. Just figure out what you really want the birds for(eggs, esthetic, both) and how many you think you can reasonably feed and house and decide which ones are really helping you accomplish those things and pass them on to someone else to enjoy.
Have a great day!

I thought it would be hard to get rid of my chickens, but I find that once they are gone I have so many others that I don't really even miss them. Kind of sad. I do have my favorites that I am going to keep but just start by selling off your least favorite ones and see how that goes. I make myself feel better by knowing that of all the ones I sell........I can then get more! Whoo hoo, LOL. Seriously, I like my chickens but once I sell them, they are kind of out of sight out of mind.
wink.png
[/QU
A wild dog just killed 16 of our chickens. We need layers to replace them as we have our CSAs starting in May. We live in Bristol TN. Are you near us? What do you have for sale and what price?

Back
Top Bottom