help! I can't tell if these Welsh Harlequin ducks are male or female

Ok :) my only problem is that I don't know how old they are. I've had Donald (kc) for 6 weeks now & the welsh only a week. How old are they before they lay eggs if one is a girl, because none are yet x

I was told from the breeder that I was purchasing three female and two male welsh harlequin ducklings. They are a week old and one of them looks different than the others. This made me wonder if I really had 4 of one sex and one of the other. What do you
think? All of them except the one that looks different look like the one in the upper right corner. The one that looks different is in the bottom left corner. Any information is very much appreciated.

The information that follows is from Wikipedia. If you Google the breed, you will learn all about them.

As day olds, sex can be determined based on bill colour with over 90% accuracy. Young drakes will have darker bills while female with have lighter with a dark spot at the.

New Egg

I am starting to think the idea of paying hatcheries - even very reputable ones - for day old waterfowl of a sex you choose is a crap shoot, and an expensive one at that :( I ordered two female Embden goslings from a top notch hatchery, and a combo of two female Blue Swedish Ducks and two female Orpington Buffs from another. As they have grown to about three months or so, I can see I have two Embden ganders, and male-female pairs of each duck breed. I am not happy! All I wanted were eggs, absolutely no mating violence concerns or worries about vulnerable babies! Anyone near Mountain City TN want to drake/duck swap?

Back
Top Bottom