HELP I don't know what else to do for my deformed roo

Great_Britton33

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2017
This is my roo. Or at least I think he's a he. Anywho. He's 16 weeks now and this picture was taken about two weeks ago.
I have scoured the internet and I can't figure out what the name is for what's wrong with him or how to fix/ manage it.
It's been getting worse since about week 5 which is when the deformity first presented itself.
Someone told me B12 would help. It has slightly. Some days he manages to roam around the yard with the other healthy chickens, others he does the vertical splits (one leg in front of him one slightly under/ behind him) and instead of walking straight ahead of him to his intended destination he just ends up going in a circle.

Form what I notice between him and the normal chickens his legs are dramatically thicker, his joints are very large and rounded and his hips are farther apart.

Please if anyone else has had a chicken like this and was able to improve quality of life please please let me know. I know he will never be normal I just want to make life easier on him.

Attachments

• IMG_9238.JPG
    IMG_9238.JPG
    637.1 KB · Views: 15
Poor lil guy. I wish I could help. I'll be watching to see if anyone has answers.
Thank you so much. It's never stopped him before he eats and drinks and even makes it up to the second floor of the two story coop. He's figured out ways to get around despite the deformities. That's why it's so hard to see it getting to a point where he's struggling.

Years ago I hatched a baby chick born with a sprained leg and it didn't heal properly so the leg became deformed. Was this one's leg(s) always like this? I know you said you just noticied it a few weeks ago but is there a chance it was deformed since birth? You may be able to come up with a strap or wrap which will help straighten and strengthen the leg. Poor little guy . Keep us updated!

Years ago I hatched a baby chick born with a sprained leg and it didn't heal properly so the leg became deformed. Was this one's leg(s) always like this? I know you said you just noticied it a few weeks ago but is there a chance it was deformed since birth? You may be able to come up with a strap or wrap which will help straighten and strengthen the leg. Poor little guy . Keep us updated!
I only have 7 chickens and I've had them since chicks and they are my first ones so I checked on them, probably too much When they were chicks. The legs started to become bowed at about 5 weeks. He eats and drinks and did things a little different than the other chickens but he made it work and doesn't seem to be in pain it wasn't really a problem until recently. Some days he runs around the yard, well hobbles around the yard, others he just scoots in circles.

I only have 7 chickens and I've had them since chicks and they are my first ones so I checked on them, probably too much When they were chicks. The legs started to become bowed at about 5 weeks. He eats and drinks and did things a little different than the other chickens but he made it work and doesn't seem to be in pain it wasn't really a problem until recently. Some days he runs around the yard, well hobbles around the yard, others he just scoots in circles.
I really just want to find a way to insure he has more mobile days than bad days. I know he's never gonna be normal.

I agree - I hope he's not in pain! Sounds like he is adapting. Vitamins are always good. Maybe try something similar to spraddle leg treatment?

I also always measure any bumps, wounds, joints, seeking and date the measurement to watch for worsening.

I agree - I hope he's not in pain! Sounds like he is adapting. Vitamins are always good. Maybe try something similar to spraddle leg treatment?

I also always measure any bumps, wounds, joints, seeking and date the measurement to watch for worsening.
Okay. I've considered wrapping his leg to try and straighten it out but I'm new at all this so I'm worried about hurting him or doing more damage than good. His joints are so inlarged that it makes splinting difficult.

Research the type of bandage material to use because they tend to peck at it and pull it off but I think you should give it a try for a few days and see how it works. He will be uncomfortable at first so give it a little time to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom