Help! I don't know what is wrong

Duck mama101

Hatching
Sep 22, 2020
So we had just rescued a female duck she's a jumbo Pekin and she was in a very bad situation where she had lived in a very tiny pen it was never cleaned and her water wasn't ever clean and she was only being fed chicken feed and she was very skinny and on the left side of her breast she was missing lots of feathers from constant pecking and tonight we had just noticed that she's making a whistle sound breathing out from her nostrils she breathes in fine but doesn't breathe out fine and we already checked her nose is clear but I'm still pretty worried because it sounds like it's hard for her to breathe out but she's okay breathing in

You should report the person who was making her live like that! That is not right, you should avenge you duck, and her flock mates! Breathing wise, do you have a deep enough area her to dunk her whole head in, or preferably swim? It could be because she didn't have clean water, and she couldn't clear her sinuses. What shavings are you using? Avery

Probably a good thing to do for her is to put her in a pen big enough for her to fully extend her wings and to walk around. Give her deep enough water to fully submerge her beak in, and duck food (has more niacin than chicken food, I use Purina's duck food, good for all parts of life).

If you have one of those 3 gallon tubs from a farm supply store, that will give her enough water to clear her nose, plus drink, plus bathe, plus get you wet if you are close enough, plus splash a lot of water. Like, all the water in the tub will be outside the tub!

Be prepared to completely refill 2-3 times.

After that, and a little sleep, more feed, and preening, you may find there is nothing wrong with her that a good stretch, good food, and a bath couldn't fix!

You should report the person who was making her live like that! That is not right, you should avenge you duck, and her flock mates! Breathing wise, do you have a deep enough area her to dunk her whole head in, or preferably swim? It could be because she didn't have clean water, and she couldn't clear her sinuses. What shavings are you using? Avery
I know it was absolutely horrible and yes I do have a dish deep enough to where she can dunk her whole beak in and I'm using pine shavings

Welcome to BYC. So sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you take a video of her breathing, and upload it to a video platform like Yotube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here?

I do see that you mentioned she is a Jumbo Pekin, so while I don't think we should totally disregard your concern's it is possible that might be her normal breathing. I have several on the farm here, and if you sit close to them it can sound like their whistling through their nares at time. A video would help us determine if its a serious or minor problem.

Just a few questions I hope you can answer.

When did the breathing develop, very suddenly, or over a long-er period time? Is she able to get feed/water down easily? Is she eating and drinking as much as she usually does? Have you checked in her mouth for any abnormalities? Besides the wheezing does she seem distressed at all? Is she sneezing, or producing discharge from the eyes, or mouth?

In the case were are dealing with something a little bit more serious, be very careful, when, and how you handle her, take great caution not to apply to much force to her body, especially her back which could potentially restrict her from expanding her lungs and breathing.

How long has she been with you? She very well may just need time to adjust to and to get back to health in her new environment. However, pekin's seem to be heavier breathers in general especially since they overheat so easily. If her airways are clear of any obstructionns and she shows no signs of a respiratory virus I would say with her being a jumbo Pekin that very well may be just her normal breathing.

Back
Top Bottom