Help! I don't know what's wrong with my Pekin duck!

let me ask my dad what to do when he wakes up from his nap
th.gif
not old just tired TEEHEE

continuation: in our country bangladesh we use natural methods when this happens i remeber my uncle put something in the chickens nose to make it lay quicker then take it out 1 or 2 days later ill see but some may just kill it i hate when ppl kill animals
hit.gif

I don't know which hemisphere you are in, but is it spring or fall where you are? Could it be possible she is having a very strong mating urge? The way you describe her with her chest down and tail up, and white stuff coming from the vent sound like breeding-related things to me.

Keep a close eye on her, but I wanted to offer that as a possible explanation.

Do you have drakes in your flock?

I don't know which hemisphere you are in, but is it spring or fall where you are? Could it be possible she is having a very strong mating urge? The way you describe her with her chest down and tail up, and white stuff coming from the vent sound like breeding-related things to me.

Keep a close eye on her, but I wanted to offer that as a possible explanation.

Do you have drakes in your flock?

It's fall here :) We do have one drake and 3 girls. They actually managed to hatch a duckling in the beginning of August, I don't know which duck is the mother, but I've never seen any of them act this way. Oh, and this duck hasn't been quacking like she usually does, and her breathing seems a little off.

Actually, she seems better than she was earlier today. She's been walking around normally again, but still no quack and she's still clenching her vent, but not as bad as she was before. Could it possibly be constipation?

It's fall here :) We do have one drake and 3 girls. They actually managed to hatch a duckling in the beginning of August, I don't know which duck is the mother, but I've never seen any of them act this way. Oh, and this duck hasn't been quacking like she usually does, and her breathing seems a little off.

Actually, she seems better than she was earlier today. She's been walking around normally again, but still no quack and she's still clenching her vent, but not as bad as she was before. Could it possibly be constipation?
Has the drake been trying to mate with her today? I guess a duck can get constipated but I've never seen one. If you could pick up some molasses and add some to her water it may help if she is constipated or egg bound. Maybe Amiga will be able to add some in site to this, other than being egg bound or constipated I am at a loss. Did you feel her lower tummy today? if so did it feel hard/soft?

I suppose something could be irritating her vent . . . an insect bite, the beginnings of an infection, or some environmental irritant.

Has the bedding changed lately, or has there been any problem with it? Did you look to see if there were mites there? Mercy, we have to get so up close and personal with them sometimes, don't we?

This evening I held Romy in my lap, she was wrapped in a towel, and I was dribbling calcium medicine into her bill as best I could. Gotta be a better way.

Has the drake been trying to mate with her today? I guess a duck can get constipated but I've never seen one. If you could pick up some molasses and add some to her water it may help if she is constipated or egg bound. Maybe Amiga will be able to add some in site to this, other than being egg bound or constipated I am at a loss. Did you feel her lower tummy today? if so did it feel hard/soft?

He hasn't had anything to do with her today. It's night now, they're all sleeping, but I'll pick some up tomorrow morning and try that. I did feel her stomach, and I could feel something hard, but I'm no expert with how it should feel (My other ducks don't like being handled) so I don't know if it's some bone or if there is an egg there.

hmmmm i think if it wants egg it wouldnt be acting like that female can be picky and avoid mating unless broody
I just don't know what it is... we don't have the pool filled right now so unless the drake is desperate he's not mating with any of the girls.

I suppose something could be irritating her vent . . . an insect bite, the beginnings of an infection, or some environmental irritant.

Has the bedding changed lately, or has there been any problem with it? Did you look to see if there were mites there? Mercy, we have to get so up close and personal with them sometimes, don't we?

This evening I held Romy in my lap, she was wrapped in a towel, and I was dribbling calcium medicine into her bill as best I could. Gotta be a better way.

The bedding was due to be changed tomorrow. I've been looking at her vent area, and haven't seen any mites... they're those little red things right? Yes we do, normally she won't let me anywhere near her. Lately she hasn't cared so much though.
Aww what's wrong with Romy?

Romy seems to have trouble either getting enough calcium or using it properly, has been laying some soft eggs and doing the tail-down, but not constantly. She was acting very puny the other day so I took her to the vet, who said her tummy was a little squishy, so to be on the safe side she got a calcium injection that day and I am giving her neocalglucan drops for several days.

Romy seems to have trouble either getting enough calcium or using it properly, has been laying some soft eggs and doing the tail-down, but not constantly. She was acting very puny the other day so I took her to the vet, who said her tummy was a little squishy, so to be on the safe side she got a calcium injection that day and I am giving her neocalglucan drops for several days.

Aww :( Hope everything turns out alright with her.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom