Help! I fed my chickens avocado scraps & seed. They haven't been eating their feed for two days.

clairereeve

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
I am a first-time chicken owner and made a very bad mistake!

I fed my six chickens avocado scraps alongside other table scraps I thought might be treats. The chickens ate all the scrap avocado meat and some nibbled away at one of the seeds (it's about 1/2 consumed). I had no idea until an intensive internet search that avocados were bad for birds.

It has been four days since consumption. They have been acting normal BUT their appetite for their feed seems to be slim to none.Their gizzards appear full and some have had abnormally-runny poo. They eagerly eat up grass and other foliage.

What should I do? Is it likely this lack of appetite for the feed will pass or should I consider getting them medical care?

Thanks so much,

Claire

I am a first-time chicken owner and made a very bad mistake!

I fed my six chickens avocado scraps alongside other table scraps I thought might be treats. The chickens ate all the scrap avocado meat and some nibbled away at one of the seeds (it's about 1/2 consumed). I had no idea until an intensive internet search that avocados were bad for birds.

It has been four days since consumption. They have been acting normal BUT their appetite for their feed seems to be slim to none.Their gizzards appear full and some have had abnormally-runny poo. They eagerly eat up grass and other foliage.

What should I do? Is it likely this lack of appetite for the feed will pass or should I consider getting them medical care?

Thanks so much,

Claire
HI Claire,

I did the same thing before I read that you shouldnt give them avocados. I did this for several months as our neighbors give us avos from their trees. My chickens never had any adverse reactions to them.That was at least a year ago and they are all fine. I am not saying to feed them avos but I would not worry about it now. This is just my personal experience.
Good luck...

Marie

I don't think you have to worry about them not eating feed, mine are always out free ranging and only really eat their food when they're in the run

Thank you both for such a quick reply! I'm quite relieved. I won't be making this mistake again.

Also, one thing I didn't mention is that someone is pooping green. Did that happen to your chicks when you fed them avocados unknowingly? :)

Thank you both for such a quick reply! I'm quite relieved. I won't be making this mistake again.

Also, one thing I didn't mention is that someone is pooping green. Did that happen to your chicks when you fed them avocados unknowingly? :)
I really didnt notice about the green poo. I think it will just work its way out if you know what I mean.
You are a good chicken mom.
Marie
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom