HELP I found yolk frozen on my patio

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navychick, Jan 3, 2012.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I need your advice. We have 12 hens 6 months old. 3 EE, 3BR, 3SLW & 3 BO. Just before Christmas an EE and a BR layed their first eggs. Last week another EE & BR layed. And as of today I believe all 3 EE's and BR are laying. On two occasions in the last week I have found the reminant of an egg (small soft, flat, smashed, the inside appeared not to have a yolk as there was nothing yellow to it) on the poop board and assumed these were eggs that didn't form correctly. I have no idea who layed these. Tonight after I locked up the girls there appeared to be a frozen yolk on my concrete patio.
    My girl's free range during the day and I haven't seen any evidence that they would lay around the yard as they seem to like their nesting boxes. How concerned should I be and how can I determine who layed this yolk and possibly has not expelled the shell? They all appear healthy and happy. Please tell me what I should do? They are in their coop for the night and I could easily examine them now if I knew what to look for or if you think I should. Thanks -Tamara

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I am no expert, but when my hens first started laying I also found a shell-less egg inside the coop where they usually roost. I've also on two occasions found a mass of egg material that has become covered with wood shavings on the floor of the coop. I'm not certain if these came from more shell-less eggs, or whether an egg became broken and the hens ate the shells (which I know hens will sometimes do).

Either way, I don't believe that you have to worry about un-expelled shells. I think sometimes it takes awhile for a young chicken to get all of her egg laying apparatus functioning efficiently. Perhaps there will be more comments from folks with more experience.

3. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the encouragement. It's making me crazy with worry.

4. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

My BR layed two rubbery partially-shelled floor eggs last week and hasn't layed anything since. I think she's just not mature everywhere yet, so I'm not too worried. She knows where the nest box is and has made trips to it and done a bit of the laying song, but I think she's just not ready to lay regular eggs yet. Big Red started laying last week and hasn't stopped - 5 eggs in 7 days, pretty little brown eggs, so cute! Whitey isn't ready yet - she seems like she might be a bit younger than the other two.

I am so excited to fing Big Red's eggs in the morning, that I haven't really worried about the other two, but I know I'm going to be over the moon when all 3 start laying!

Kate

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I think when they first start laying an incomplete egg or two is normal. I've had one under the
    roost, a couple in the nesting boxes, and one in the yard. I have gotten several gigantic double-yolkers, too, as their systems get into 'normal' mode.

My girls have been laying since the 30th of October. Sunday I got my third baby egg and today I got an egg - looks otherwise completely normal - with a slimy membrane covering the whole outside. I plan to use it tomorrow to see if the inside is good.

Don't be concerned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by