HELP, I have 4 Ducklings!

I have mine in my house for a brooder. Well two brooders in my living room. I found that the ones I put in this activity filled zone of my house became used to me a little faster. I have also swam my ducklings as early as three days old in my sink with warm water. Just make sure to towel them dry so they don’t chill. I offer lots of extra veggies as part of their soupy mesh they love it. Just about anything I offer now they cobble up.

Congrats on your new ducklings they are adorable. Just remember anything you offer them to eat besides their starter they will need to have access to grit chick grit first while young. Easy to find at the feed store. Put it in a dish close to their feed By the way what are you feeding them if chick starter your going to want to supplement with some type of niacin because chickens feed doesn't have enough and with out the extra niacin they can have leg issues. Lameness crippling. So you'll need to pick up either reg niacin from vitamin section of store or Nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast or B Complex liquid Just make sure if you buy plain niacin it isn't flush free or time released. I prefer Nutritional yeast but if you notice any leg weakness then you pull out the big guns and use the liquid B Complex. Sounds like a lot to absorb but it really isn't. And welcome your just across the border from me I am North east of Asheville NC. :frow

You are going to have some cute Rouens. Your brooder looks great! If it’s still hot in your area, you may not need a heat source during the day. Ducks are like chickens in that the ratio of hens to Drake’s is about 5:1. So if you get several males, you will want a backup plan. I pick mine up regularly to examine them. They aren’t thrilled, but they get over it.
Whoa whoa whoa, what the heck are you talking about? I bought all Hens so I was unaware you had to check them!? So how you do this and why do you do this? Whats it matter if all males?

Congrats on your new ducklings they are adorable. Just remember anything you offer them to eat besides their starter they will need to have access to grit chick grit first while young. Easy to find at the feed store. Put it in a dish close to their feed By the way what are you feeding them if chick starter your going to want to supplement with some type of niacin because chickens feed doesn't have enough and with out the extra niacin they can have leg issues. Lameness crippling. So you'll need to pick up either reg niacin from vitamin section of store or Nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast or B Complex liquid Just make sure if you buy plain niacin it isn't flush free or time released. I prefer Nutritional yeast but if you notice any leg weakness then you pull out the big guns and use the liquid B Complex. Sounds like a lot to absorb but it really isn't. And welcome your just across the border from me I am North east of Asheville NC. :frow
Yea, the guy gave me a bag of Powder stuff to put in their water. When I go home I will look to see if thats what it is. When you take your lings to the tub do you do it a certain way or just put all in an open box or what? Just dont wanna scare them anymore than they are.

Last edited:
IMG_1161.JPG
For swimming young ones I use a rubber livestock bowl with a brick so they can hop in easily.

Back
Top Bottom