Help...I have a canibal chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gibsonbuzz, Jan 28, 2011.

1. gibsonbuzz

gibsonbuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    I have a chicken that eats an average of 6-8 eggs a day if I don't get to the coop early enough. From what I've been reading, chicken s are dumb and if I isolate her from the rest for a couple weeks, she will forget how good they are and stop eating them. The only other option I have is the roaster. buaahhhhahhahhahh.

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    There are many ways to stop her from eating eggs. Separating her would probably work, but I've never tried that for egg eaters. Some people use golf balls and I use blown eggs filled with mustard. What works on some chickens doesn't always work on others. I hope you solve your problem. Good luck.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Separate her from the others before she teaches them this habit. I would keep her in solitary or cull her. Egg eating once started is very difficult to stop, and the behavior is "contagious."

4. gibsonbuzz

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Ok, I tried the musterd method today, and regulary collected eggs. They ate all five musterd eggs. I just prepared 4 more for tomorrow. How lond do you think it might take with this method?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sometimes mustard in blown eggs doesn't work. Some people have tried vinegar in blown eggs too. You may have to separate her for a while or cull her.
    It only took two mustard eggs to fix my hen. I used that real tangy cheap mustard, not the same kind my family eats.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Are you sure it is only one eating the eggs? If so I agree with Pinky get her out of the coop. If you keep her separated, maybe hard fake eggs might work. That way she might learn that eggs are too hard to peck open. Another option is roll away nests where the egg drops down so the hen can't get to it. If you search for roll away nests you might get a better description.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I agree with the above poster. She may not be the only hen but if she is she'll teach the others. I think roll out nest boxes would be a good solution without culling all your egg eaters.

8. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    eggs and mustard? sounds like liquid egg salad to me...mmm mmm good [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If the mustard didn't work on one day, it won't work the next. If she's not already separated she has likely taught the others. Rollaway nest boxes are probably your only hope.

10. gibsonbuzz

Mar 22, 2010
    Coloma, Michigan
    Well...looking at my live chicken cam, I can see that she is the one breaking the eggs open, and a couple others just bite into the treat. She's in 2wks solitary confinement now. Lets see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by