HELP! I have a chick and don't know what to do with it.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dcphotos, Dec 26, 2009.

1. dcphotos

dcphotos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    My wife bought me an incubator for my birthday. We put 2 eggs in it and decided to see what would happen. So now we have a brand new baby chick, amazingly cute. The feed store is closed until Monday. What can we feed it in the meantime? Should we just crush up the regular chicken food? We will hit a pet store shortly.

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    scrambled eggs
    bredcrumbs with egg yolk or regular chicken food groung up

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    congratz! [​IMG]
    welcome! [​IMG]

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] Awesome
    where is the pictures? [​IMG]

scrambled eggs, oatmeal, Parrot handrearing food (Kaytee or Exact)

groundup adult food may have to much Calicum!

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    well they can go 2 days after hatching with no food(absorb the yolk) The scrambled eggs is probally the best way to go. Just keep it warm in a brooder box (95* or so)

layer food can mess up it's kidneys. PLEASE don't give it that!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Although it's cute and fluffy it will survive with some water and crushed up egg, but please next time try to plan your hatch a little better. A little common sense and prior planning go a long way. good luck.

AL

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I would go with the scrambled eggs & water. Keep him/her warm like the other poster said, and POST SOME PICTURES!!! [​IMG] Good luck!

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I love it! [​IMG] To see what would happen. [​IMG] What did you think would happen? [​IMG] Maybe you thought it was a slow cooker like a crock pot and you were making breakfast 21 days in advance? [​IMG]

9. dcphotos

dcphotos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Well it worked. I'm not one for prior planning. But I can do the pictures part(my profession), he is due to have studio portraits made this evening.

We asked a vet. He suggested grits. I have both scratch and regular feed out back, perhaps I'll try a blend and some scrambled egg, but the egg part just sounds so cannibalistic.

10. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    That's what my mom and sister said when I brought some turkey scraps out to our flock last night! [​IMG]

I'd never given them poultry meat before, but read on BYC that other chicken-owners feed it to their chooks sometimes.

I gotta tell ya... they absolutely LOVED it! It even persuaded my broody hen to eat in front of me, for the first time she she started setting, almost three weeks ago. It was SO worth it to see her eat some protein! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by