HELP!!!!!!!!! I have a duck that spent the last two days stuck in a pool

manderson4156

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2020
Ok so I need serious help I lost a duck the other day dead in their pool. I took the duck out and washed out their pool out of their pin and put in clean fresh water. Yesterday morning I noticed a duck in their pool just swimming around and didn't think anything about it. Well yesterday evening I noticed that the same duck was still in the pool and my oldest daughter told me that she was in it all day. So I took her out and just observed her. This morning I saw that she wasn't as active as the others and didn't have much interest in things and walking wobbly and she has a raspy quack. What is wrong with my duck and what can I do to help her?

Can you take her to a vet?

She's likely tired and weak from being in a pool for the last two days, its also a possibility that she aspirated some of the pool water in her attempt to stay afloat for so long.

If you haven't already, your first line of action should be bringing her inside to a warm, quiet, dimly lit, stressful free area. Feed and water can be provided, but in a shallow dish has she may accidentally aspirate on the fluids due to her being weak. Line the pen with towels so you can better monitor her feces.

Give her some time to rest, and report back here with some pictures of her poop and pictures of her.

Can you take her to a vet?

She's likely tired and weak from being in a pool for the last two days, its also a possibility that she aspirated some of the pool water in her attempt to stay afloat for so long.

If you haven't already, your first line of action should be bringing her inside to a warm, quiet, dimly lit, stressful free area. Feed and water can be provided, but in a shallow dish has she may accidentally aspirate on the fluids due to her being weak. Line the pen with towels so you can better monitor her feces.

Give her some time to rest, and report back here with some pictures of her poop and pictures of her.
I moved her as soon as I noticed that she wasn't acting normal. She is in a cage on my porch. With feed and clean water. I also put an electrolyte probiotic packet for poultry in her water. Her poop is currently runny and a greenish yellowish color

one of my boys got trapped in the pond last year, after he tried to escape a hawk attack. here’s what we did -

1 - we set up a tent in my bedroom. that way it’s far from noise and it’s also a small quiet place.

2 - get them under heat. (we used a heat lamp to help him to get warmed up) make sure they can get away from the heat though as they can die from being too hot just like they can too cold.

3 - make sure they are eating and drinking (add electrolytes to her water)

4 - keep a close eye on her but try not to interact with her too much. she is probably in shock from trying to stay alive, so needs to rest

you mentioned your girl was the one drowning, by any chance do you have drakes?

I moved her as soon as I noticed that she wasn't acting normal. She is in a cage on my porch. With feed and clean water. I also put an electrolyte probiotic packet for poultry in her water. Her poop is currently runny and a greenish yellowish color

How is she doing?

Could you post a picture of her poop?

Hi there - I hope your duck is doing better today. This is a bit late in the day but we had this happen, and like @Duck mommy 2019 we bought the duck inside, we put her in a crate with sawdust, covered the crate with a blanky and put her next to a heatsource.

We took her to the vets the next day who said she was recovering from being hyperthermic (SP ? ) and said another 24 hours in the cage indoors, turn the heat down. Then outside in the cage so she rested and everyone got used to her again. Then let her back out.

Worked a treat - whole thing scared me witless.

Comedy gold at the vets though - first time to the very rural vet in Italy, not a lot of Italian, trying to explain why my duck is very cold....

Got there in the end though ! I've been in the vets plenty of times since with the dogs and cats etc since and people have asked after my duck.... :rolleyes:

[/Q
This is from today. She's acting betterish. I still have her on my porch in a cage. I cleaned it out and put fresh straw and clean water and feed in with her. I also put her in a fresh water shallow bath and dried her off with a warm towel and a blow dryer.

Attachments

• 20200726_144448.jpg
    20200726_144448.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom