Help! I have a new duckling!

abmoon23

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
I recently became a mother to a 2 week old duckling. My husband was swimming in a river and the poor little guy was swimming by himself and swam straight into his hands. My husband looked all around the river to try to find his mother or other ducklings, but after hours of looking he had no luck. He was about 2-4 days old then. His mother took care of the duckling for the past week in a half since we didn't think he would live and she takes care of animals for a living. She has never taken care of ducks especially not this young. She gave the duck back to us due to the amount of animals she already has. The duck is quite a character. He loves to cuddle and chase you around. He jumps up at your feet to get you to pick him up. I don't believe the duckling knows its a duck because all he has been around are humans and cats and dogs. I have been looking up how to take care of ducklings and have everything I need. He has his own big sized cage, a little hut to go into, a heat lamp with timer and temperature gauge, food dish, and fresh water. Right now we just have newspaper as the flooring in his cage. I am just not sure exactly what the feeding schedule is for a 2 week old duckling? Also, I have been reading that they do better in pairs so we are looking around to get another duckling soon for him. We believe by his color, markings, and beak it is a mallard and rouen duck. If you have any advice on the feeding schedule or getting a new duck, or just taking care of a duckling in general I would really appreciate it!

Food and water (ALWAYS have water available when food is available) should be available at all times for ducklings, they grow incredibly fast and need food available at all times.

Also be aware that niacin deficiency is common in ducklings, it would be advisable to add some brewers yeast to the food to be sure he/she grows strong.

Do some (OK, lots!) of reading here, and good luck with your little one!

Cheers'

Dan

This might help :) Because they are wild, spend extra time with them to tame their 'wildness' as much as possible. Eventually when they get old enough to fly, you'll have to clip their flight feathers. Other than that, enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom