Help! I have a ten year old cat that has stopped eating.

runarounbrown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I do have chickens, but they are all fine. I have a cat that has barely eaten in the last three weeks. I have tried nightly to tempt him with several types of foods. He will not eat more than a bite or two of anything. He is still drinking. I have been out of work and without health insurance for two years. I finally have a job, but my own medical bills are preventing me from taking this kitty to the vet. He sounded a little respiratory a week ago, but now he sounds fine. I had him neutered in 2000 and he has been a bit heavy. so I have tried to divide out a cup of food into two feedings a day. I had another cat with a stopped up urinary tract and it cost me $475.00. So I have had this cat on urinary tract formula cat food for several years. His tummy is soft..he does not appear to be in pain. He is getting thin and meows a lot...I do not want to just let him starve! I have been smearing hairball stuff on his front paws in case he is stopped up with a hairball, yet no change. Does anyone have any idea's?? I have tried chicken broth, yogurt, sour cream, turkey, ham, crappie....oh yes and scrambled eggs!

Last edited:
Does it have any bad teeth (abcesses or anything)? Have you noticed if it's peeing normally and/or if their might be a change in the urine color? Unfortunately it sounds as if you kitty needs to be seen by a vet. I would call around and see if there are any that would accept payments. Explain your situation and maybe they would be willing to help you. Good luck. Sorry your kitty isn't feeling well.
hugs.gif

Sorry your cat isn't feeling well. In my experience when a cat stops eating for days it requires a trip to the vet. Sorry not exactly what you want to hear. There could be many many causes of it: dental problems, pain, disease, intestinal blockage- gosh the list is endless. I hope he's doing better soon.

Imp

I have watched him, and he is peeing normally...I had not thought of looking at his teeth. That is a good idea. Thanks

I just read yesterday that some vet's have a 50% decline in business lately, maybe you could work out something like momto5... said. My neighbors used to trade handyman type chores with the vet. Good luck

Imp

Unfortunately there are several fairly common causes for a 10 year old cat stopping eating , but the treatment is extremely different depending on *which* cause it is, and it takes bloodwork to really figure out what's going on... or sometimes, if you're lucky, a vet palpating the cat can find a likely suspect.

Perhaps you can work something out with the vet, or something.

Good luck,

Pat

Loss of appetite within a cat can quickly become a very serious situation. If the cat's stop eating for even a few days, it can develop a condition called hepatic lipidosis. Hepatic lipidosis affects the liver as the body essentially begins to break the organ system down to use as a food source.

If not reversed quickly, this condition may lead to liver failure.
sad.png

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I called a vet today and he has an appointment for 9:00 am tomorrow....I could not get home from work in time to take him there tonight. I tried the chicken broth again and I tried to tempt him with a sardine. He is getting around pretty well but still refused to eat. Prince of Purr is his name. I was told on the phone today that the office visit is $32.00. The blood work is $146.00. If I have to have him put down:( it will be $41.00. I hope it will not come to that..but it is easier on him than letting him starve. I cannot quit crying about this...I really love this cat. Thanks again for your good advise and kind words.

This exact same thing happened with my 14 year old cat - I found out he had lost several teeth and just couldn't figure out how to transition from hard food to soft food - I now make him "soup" from chicken broth and canned cat food - he laps it up and also still tries to eat the smaller dry cat food - Optimal Science Diet (really expensive!). Ask your vet for a can or two of Science Diet AD - and try giving him some Purina Whisker Lickins soft cat treats - my old boy seemed more interested in that food when he was sick, and that got him started on his new "blended cat food" diet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom