Stray cat

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
So, there is a male cat who has been hanging around our land lately. He eats lots of cat food at night and always meows at us to follow him, but we can’t go over the fence. We thought that maybe he had kittens (we just recently discovered he was a he, we thought he was a girl) and we thought “hey, maybe he’s the dad, and another cat we’ve seen once before is the mom, and they want us to follow them to their kittens.” Is such a thing possible?
He always meows! He is kind to our other cats, even a little scared of them, and he let me touch him once. He is not neutered. Any ideas?

He's probably lost, or dumped.

Somebody around our place is dumping very expensive cat breeds. Our newest arrival is a Purebred Marbled Tabby. He's friendly, just shy/scared.
20231215_192155.jpg
20231215_192123.jpg
20231215_192111.jpg
First expensive cat we had over here was a Snow Shoe. She got adopted recently.
20230831_183001.jpg

From time to time people dump cats on my dads property. We feed them, then capture, spay/neuter (if in tact) and release back on to the property. A lot stay around but males occasionally move on. The local vet makes it affordable to do so. The times they haven’t done this, the cat populations around the farm grow very quickly, they all breed each other very young so my parents are pretty proactive about it.

From time to time people dump cats on my dads property. We feed them, then capture, spay/neuter (if in tact) and release back on to the property. A lot stay around but males occasionally move on. The local vet makes it affordable to do so. The times they haven’t done this, the cat populations around the farm grow very quickly, they all breed each other very young so my parents are pretty proactive about it.
We've gotten in contact with a rescue/TNR place that opened up recently. They've been helping us, & we've been helping them.

Those organizations are so helpful, looks like its just in time to make contact with them with those pretty cats you’ve found! The cats around my dads place are usually just mixed barn cats.
The first one, the Snow Shoe, she was taken in from a different rescue, & adopted out.
This new boy, we're gonna see if the new rescue will take him in.

So, there is a male cat who has been hanging around our land lately. He eats lots of cat food at night and always meows at us to follow him, but we can’t go over the fence. We thought that maybe he had kittens (we just recently discovered he was a he, we thought he was a girl) and we thought “hey, maybe he’s the dad, and another cat we’ve seen once before is the mom, and they want us to follow them to their kittens.” Is such a thing possible?
He always meows! He is kind to our other cats, even a little scared of them, and he let me touch him once. He is not neutered. Any ideas?
He's probably meowing because he got dumped and wants to go inside/be around people but he's scared. Cats do not typically lead other cats or humans to their kittens because their instincts are to hide their vulnerable litters - male or other female cats can kill kittens that aren't theirs. In my experience a male cat would be soundly beaten away by the mother if it was just a random encounter that led to making kittens. Housecats that have grown up together will sometimes be more parental to their litters and the momma will let them, but not random stray cats.
I'd see if you can catch him and bring him in, then either get him neutered or give him to a shelter so he can find a good home. Housecats make very poor ferals most of the time they can't hunt or protect themselves from predators.

their instincts are to hide their vulnerable litters
One year we knew a barn cat had her kittens, but we weren’t sure where .. then my dad noticed every time he was in the chicken coop she would jump up into the rafters .. so he looked around the coop and this is what he found.. the cat and hen would take turns sitting on the kittens until they got a bit more rambunctious and the mama moved them to the other barn.

Attachments

• IMG_9406.jpeg
    IMG_9406.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 17
One year we knew a barn cat had her kittens, but we weren’t sure where .. then my dad noticed every time he was in the chicken coop she would jump up into the rafters .. so he looked around the coop and this is what he found.. the cat and hen would take turns sitting on the kittens until they got a bit more rambunctious and the mama moved them to the other barn.
That is the cutest thing!!!!

At my grandparents people dump cats all the time. Years ago people dumped a dog to.
They kept 2 of the cats that were nice in the garage, both fixed. One got really sick and we toom care of him the best we could by vet recommendation, one day he ran off and never came back. The other cat got really depressed, and started acting out, he tried biting the younger kids once. They took him to the humane society. .
There is a beautiful mama cat that somehow has a litter every year. She avoids all traps and wont let us touch her. The male cat we thought was the dad was neutered. Now there is 4 little kittens running around, a beautiful little calico, and a few others. She lives in the shed on my great aunts property which is a bit away from my grandparents house.
The male cats tend to run off, and we have took a lot to the humane society but they are full right now.

Heres a picture of one of the kittens ill get some photos of the calico
20231018_121900.jpg

Back
Top Bottom