Help, I have an aggressive dog

SandyandJeff

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
Gardner, Kansas
We have a 5 year old Schipperki with a not so nice personality. Our chickens and ducks are in enclosed runs. He lunges at them against the chicken wire. He tries to dig under. I am afraid it is just a matter of time before he hurts or kills one. Is there any hope for him to stay here? Our other 2 dogs do not act like this.

I have 3 Shar-Pei...one is very very prey driven and wants to get the chickens. I put a shock collar on her and she got a few zaps every time she showed the aggressive behavior. She now leaves the chickens alone but does pace along their run for a few minutes in the morning when I let them out of the coop.

I have dogs that refused to accept my chickens for a long time, but I worked with them DAILY for a LONG time and now they leave my girls alone, BUT
I would never trust them all to be out in the yard together.
They take turns free ranging the yard.

I would advise double checking your coop and run to make sure the dog can't get in and with chicken wire, it won't be long before he does get in.

We have a 5 year old Schipperki with a not so nice personality. Our chickens and ducks are in enclosed runs. He lunges at them against the chicken wire. He tries to dig under. I am afraid it is just a matter of time before he hurts or kills one. Is there any hope for him to stay here? Our other 2 dogs do not act like this.

Yes, there is hope. It's called training.

Some dog breeds are more prey driven than others and can't have that trained out of them. I would do some research on you dog breed and see what kind of training would suit him best. I have 2 huskies and a boston terrier and the most I have been able to do with the huskies is train them to ignore the coop when they are out and chickens are cooped up. My boston can be out with the chickens while supervised. It really depends on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom