HELP! I have lost 4 birds in 3 days! 4 more are sick. What is this?

GraceElizabeth

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
I have no idea what I'm dealing with. I have a flock of mixed breed laying hens here that have something very bad. I have had them for one year with no signs of illness. I practice very strict bio-security so I have no idea how they got this. I have never seen an illness here.
Symptoms are swollen face and having a hard time breathing then they drop dead within 24 hours. I have the ones that are healthy on tylan in the water but as soon as ones get sick I move them to a quarantine pen.
What could kill something so quickly?
I will be sending one of the dead ones in to the lab but I need to know NOW what this is.
Ideas?

Infectious Bronchitis is a common, fast moving, rather serious respiratory disease.However, it doesnt' usually kill so many birds. Another dangerous respiratory disease is Infectious Laryngotracheits. This disease usually also causes discharge (sometimes bloody) from the nostrils.

Is the Tylan helping? If it isn't I'd suspect Bronchitis or another viral respiratory disease, as viruses can't be cured by antibiotics. However, if you see improvement (or at least they aren't getting worse), a bacterial respiratory disease is more likely.

Have your birds experienced any stress lately? Such as, time without feed or water, any shows, change in diet, confinement, etc? Stress can bring on hidden respiratory diseases that birds carry but never show symptoms of.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! I hope your birds get better soon!

Infectious Bronchitis is a common, fast moving, rather serious respiratory disease.However, it doesnt' usually kill so many birds. Another dangerous respiratory disease is Infectious Laryngotracheits. This disease usually also causes discharge (sometimes bloody) from the nostrils.

Is the Tylan helping? If it isn't I'd suspect Bronchitis or another viral respiratory disease, as viruses can't be cured by antibiotics. However, if you see improvement (or at least they aren't getting worse), a bacterial respiratory disease is more likely.

Have your birds experienced any stress lately? Such as, time without feed or water, any shows, change in diet, confinement, etc? Stress can bring on hidden respiratory diseases that birds carry but never show symptoms of.

Thank you. That's helpful

Last edited:

I don't see any blood anywhere for it to be IL.
Just one or both eyes swollen and they can't breathe and die. It happens QUICKLY. I will cull everyone showing symptoms but should I cull everyone that was in that pen? I have 5 left.

Back
Top Bottom