Help, I have several injuries chickens

Ccrielly

Chirping
Dec 8, 2018
My dog got in the chicken pen and did a lot of damage. The vet is not opened today and I don't know how to help my girls. 2 already passed, but I have more that are injured. I have separated the healthy chickens from the injured. Is there anything I can give them for pain to ease their discomfort? I have cleaned out all wounds with warm water. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My dog got in the chicken pen and did a lot of damage. The vet is not opened today and I don't know how to help my girls. 2 already passed, but I have more that are injured. I have separated the healthy chickens from the injured. Is there anything I can give them for pain to ease their discomfort? I have cleaned out all wounds with warm water. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My white leghorn got her foot and leg caught in a wire dog cage. I gave her 1 (81 mg) baby aspirin morning and evening. She is probably a year old and a few months.

In time if you could post pictures of serious wounds that would be good. Deep wounds should be cleaned with something like Vetericyn wound spray from feed stores, weak betadine, or Hibiclens/chlorhexidene and water. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment ointment twice a day to keep wounds from drying out. Leave open to air. Use towels for bedding so that pine shavings are not getting into wounds. Do not use peroxide since it prevents healing. Most wounds close eventually if they do not get infectedd. Chickens will peck other’s wounds or anything red, so keep them separated as well as you can. Dog crates with food and water are good for that. Keep flies away.

I agree with @Eggcessive , do not use hydrogen peroxide, it kills live tissue, destroys the cells, prevents healing. It's great for taking care of bacteria but not for open or puncher wounds.

Back
Top Bottom