HELP, I HAVE TOO MANY ROOSTERS!!!

bigmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
South Lyon, MI.
I have 8 Silkie chickens, and I am 100% positive that 5 of them are roosters. I also have 1 that MIGHT be a rooster. They are about 16 weeks old now, and for the most part they get along. They do pick at each other, but it just passes, and it's never for an extended period of time. I'm not concerned with the crowing because my neighbors think it's cute,and it is not excessive either. I'm worried about my poor little hens! 3 to 1 is a great male to female ratio in a bar but I'm thinking not so great in chickens! I'm also concerned that the boys are going to start getting mean and acting like ROOSTERS as they get older. I do get challenged by 1 now, but I'm bigger, meaner, and in control of the food so I will always win! Plus, it's just hard to take the fluffy little guy seriously! I'm more worried that they will start going after each other. Would they already be doing this now, or are they still to immature? Should I get some more little girls? Should I start finding them homes now? HELP!:eek:

thats way too many roo's for the hens,, you'll see ya hens start going bald on their back,, i would do a mixture of your thoughts,, rehome a few, keep a few, and get more hens.
and to tell ya the truth,, the roo with more "spunk" is the 1 i would for sure keep,, he will be a GREAT protector of the flock. and you have a GREAT attitude about him,, the way it should be
wink.png

IMO i would start trying to find homes for them now before it becomes a problem. I have been down the same road as you before only i had a hard time parting with the boys and ended up having several different boxes for them to stay seperate from everyone else and ended up rehoming them. I believe you are suppose to have 1 roo to 10-12 hens

Silkie roos are all about the luvin'. They'll become a real pain for the hens. Mine have been pretty mellow in terms of fighting with other roos, so that's good at least.

The good news is that they're pretty easy to rehome. Tough to part with though because they're so pretty. Good luck - and be careful with Craigslist (which I love, BTW). There are some real weirdos out there. I got some funky e-mails when I posted my extra roos. I made sure I delivered all of them myself to their new homes.

Last edited:
I had 2 roosters and six hens they got on fine till one day I know you had already told me to rehome we managed to split them up and rehomed one to friend in village he now has 10 at least of his own woman

My wife said we had too many roosters
idunno.gif
So we used craigslist to get rid of 2 of them
hit.gif
It only took a couple days
barnie.gif
I miss my roosters
hit.gif

Well... I knew I had roosters when they grew combs, wattles, and started crowing! I'm really sad that I will have to re-home them:( Maybe I'll bring them in to be my house chickens! I bet the dogs and cats will keep them in line! So, I guess the biggest issue will be with the hens? Just not enough women to go around? I think I need more chickens then.... gotta go break the news to the husband!

Back
Top Bottom