HELP, I HAVE TOO MANY ROOSTERS!!!

I agree with the1much... tell hubby it is VITAL to get more hens
big_smile.png

I got 25 straight run chickens this spring & ended up with 17 roosters. Don't ask me how that happens. I guess I have bad luck. But when they got about 17 weeks old it became what I am sorry to say, but a gang-rape fest just about every 10 minutes. My poor hens were so beat up. I finally had enough when I came home from camping that next weekend & one of my hens had a big slash across the back of her neck from where they kept jumping on her & grabbing her. Then I saw a huge blood spray up the side of my house where the incident most likely occured. Needless to say, the next day there were 16 roosters in my freezer. Don't wait for this to happen!!! If you aren't going to eat them, then you need to find good homes for them now!!

I was in the same coop. I got 5 silkie chicks in May, and they ended up being 4 Roos and 1 little lady. I moved 2 Roos to a friend of my husbands a few months ago, and the ones left were doing ok. But last week we had some nasty weather, and when I went to check on them my favorite of the 2 boys left had NO feathers on his face!!!! I called my husband and said the other roo had to go that day, so his friend came and got him too. I think I made him a silkie lover too. Just today I found a new chicken guy and got an older hen, so I knew she was a she. She is actually sleeping in my living room for tonight. Tomorrow she will get to meet her new feathered family. I would start thinning the pack before they start fighting.

I too had the same problem out of the 32 eggs I hatched this spring I think 12 ended up roosters.I kept 2. It was hard to decide who to keep they were all so nice looking.I was going to try and keep them but they started fighting really bad and gang raping the girls.The coop sounded like a battle ground all day long constant screaming and fighting going on.

Quote:
Hi dospuercos,

Happens because the hatchery you ordered from needed to dump some rooster chicks. Next time, best to spend a few extra $$ and order sexed chicks. Note that the cost of chicks, whatever it is, will be miniscule compared to your feed costs while they are growing to maturity. I'm quite sure that your hatchery will be more than pleased to sell you one or two rooster chicks with your hen order.

Best wishes!

Happens because the hatchery you ordered from needed to dump some rooster chicks. Next time, best to spend a few extra $$ and order sexed chicks. Note that the cost of chicks, whatever it is, will be miniscule compared to your feed costs while they are growing to maturity. I'm quite sure that your hatchery will be more than pleased to sell you one or two rooster chicks with your hen order.

That was my first experience getting chickens. I actually got them from a local feed store where I live. And you are right. I do think they throw in extra roosters in the straight-run batch. My next batch I ordered from a lady who lives nearby & guarantees hens. Now I have 17 hens & 2 roosters. I will definitely pay the extra $ from now on for sexed chickens.​

I was not able to get sexed chicks thru Ideal Poultry. I did not order from another hatchery because I did not want 25 chicks. Ideal told me that they do not sex bantys because it is dangerous... has anyone else heard this?

Back
Top Bottom