HELP!!!!! I just got babies now what? NEW PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by magikchick, Oct 2, 2010.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I went to take some sikies to a guy I sold them to. When I got there he had baby muscovies. He gave me three of the babies now what. I've never raised ducks before just chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Give them non-medicated feed. Make sure the brooder stays clean. No red heat bulbs.

3. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Can we see pics? I love ducklings!

When I get ducklings from my feed dealer, I just put them under a clear bulb light in a big wooden box my grandpa made me. I line the box with newspaper that I change daily. I give them unmedicated crumble feed in a peep feeder and a tiny little container or lid of a container (depending on their age) full of water. I usually get a dozen ducklings at a time so this should work for your ducklings. Good Luck!!!!

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    why not red bulbs?

5. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Because they usualy explode when water hits them, and ducklings splash a lot.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Any light bulb will explode when splashed with water white or red. The more powerful it is the more likely is going to explode on contact with water cause hotter it runs.

I hang my infrared bulb 18-24 inches above the floor for ducklings. Young ducklings will not splash water high until they grow a bit, then they do not need heat.

7. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I found a great idea on here from someone of using a butter or cottage cheese tub for a waterer. You will probably just need a small one when they are so small. I cut a slice out of the lid, just big enough for them to get their head through and a little extra....then put the lid back on the tub and fill it with water. I put a couple of large marbles in to weigh it down and put the water in. This will keep the from getting in the water and drowning... and help keep their brooder drier. I use old towels on the bottom of their brooder when they are young... I change them a couple of times a day. When they get a little older I use pine shavings. (Do not use cedar shavings - as it causes respiratory problems) Good luck - they are very cute.

8. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Congrats! Cute babies.

9. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  10. PrinceSandwich