HELP!!! I LOST MY FLOCK LAST NIGHT!!! SKUNKS???

I just read your post, JMajors and, man that must have been a real huntin' trip. You must have wiped out a whole herd. I am pretty much convinced now that it was a coon that got my babies, and the skunk just took advantage of the situation. Thanks for your detailed explanation and advice.

Thanks, Brandywine, I did not know that a big boar coon smells like a skunk. In fact, the only thing that smells like a skunk to me has been a skunk. I've seen skunks and coons killed on the road, and only the skunk smelled really bad. I never noticed the smell from a dead coon. So thanks, I've learned something new.

Foxes also stink...smellwise, I mean...
roll.png

You are right about the big boar coon smelling like a skunk. I had not realized it when we killed the whole clan. The big Boar coon was the last to get caught. He was a mean old fart. Tried to grab my husband's boot and claw him into the trap. He did not win!

My FIL uses marshmellows as bait in his live traps. He often traps skunks and coons. His barn cats aren't interested in the marshmellows.

it was a skunk!

Skunks will kill everything and eat only organ meat if there is enough birds.

Big male coons smell but not like a skunk it's musty but not skunky.

coons will kill one and run off to a tree to eat it and if it's still hungry it will go get another if it can. unless it's rabid then there is no rule.

coons pop off heads from reaching out to grab the bird.

Skunks are a big issue here in the part of Canada I live in and coops are like fort knox because of the skunks they will dig under fences buildings anything just to get to the birds. My tractor has a mahogany plank floor 1 x 6s. not much going through that I hope!!

I bought a house that was infested with coons and I trapped 11 using a live-trap and sardines. and once that was done my neighbor had a skunk under his shed he shot it and it sprayed the smell is nothing like even the nastiest coon.

I agree w/ pimpdaddywrinkles...it was a skunk. I had TWO skunks get into my coop at the same time...they killed two of my reds and wounded one (who later died).

I actually had to open the door to my coop and let the skunks out, so I know it was skunks and not coons or some other creature.

Watch out for those skunks...

Back
Top Bottom