1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help I Need A Chicken Coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tbanks75, Oct 4, 2008.

1. tbanks75

tbanks75 New Egg

Oct 4, 2008
    In May my mother-in-law gave my son a rooster and hen. She hatched 6 eggs in June. The only ones that are left now are the rooster and 3 babies. We let them roam free in the yard during the day and when it starts to get dark we have have trained them to go into a wired cage so we can lock them up at night. Over time they have each grew to have there own personality and we love them as much as we love our dog (it's sick isn't it). I don't have a desire to build a chicken coop, but would rather purchase one. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get one at?

Thanks

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Check Craigslist.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Check Craigslist and Freecycle, locally, for large dog houses. When we started, tht was our first coop. It fit a Saint Bernard in its day and we used it for our first year at lest. I believe it had seven birds living happily, or maybe nine. And it was free.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    In my neck of the woods we have several small business that make sheds for a living. Their prices and construction are better then any sheds you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot. I bet they would make a chicken coop out of a shed for you. I always try to support small business before I go to the big box stores.

5. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Your local 4H may have someone that needs experience working on something small like a coop.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have 4 chickens, about 6 months old, and their "coop" is a large plastic barn-style dog house that I bought at Tractor Supply for $60. There is a board in it for them to roost on but they seem to prefer the floor, which is full of pine shavings. You can see it in these pics below. The wire chicken tractor is now inside a fenced area in my yard so my chickens are let out during the day now, but at night I still lock them up in the wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I live in NC and our winters are normally not very cold so that might be something you'll need to take into consideration before buying a dog house for a coop. If the weather ever gets bitter cold here, we can just move the whole tractor into our garage.

Best wishes to you, aren't chickens the greatest! [​IMG]

7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Quote:If you're not willing/able to build one look on craigslist for an old shed. Depending on where you live will determine the security and weather resistance in needs to have.

Or just go buy a small shed at Home Depot or something....

8. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Do what I do. Start askin around. Watch for old sheds and out buildings in your area. You would be surprised how many people would be glad for you to come and remove the eyesore. Also check the scrap wood areas of your local Home Depot and Lowes. You'll be shocked to see what they throw away everyday. You can get these for free or very cheap. Piece it together,,,and always visit our coop design pages for ideas. You'll love your coop more if you make it!!!,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tbanks75

tbanks75 New Egg

Oct 4, 2008
    There is an old smokehouse in the yard - do you think that would work? If so, any ideas of how I could turn it into a chicken coop

10. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by