HELP! I need answers!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauranickerson, Dec 11, 2013.

1. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    My Sebrights starting sneezing with runny noses about a month ago. Plus they were gurgling a little. I thought it could have just been the quick temperature change here, but now the worst one even has some eye excretions.

Now there are a lot of my large fowl that are sneezing with runny noses!

Heeding the only advice I've gotten on here so far, I put minerals, electrolytes, vitamins, and ACV in their water every day for about a week now. I haven't noticed any differences.

The original Sebright that is doing all the gargling and has the eye secretions didn't look all that good this morning. I threw the food int he run for them to scratch through, and he kind of moved in slow motion, while others pecked at him and his wings were drooping. I picked him up and he bit my glove, then if I moved my hand a tiny bit, he would try to catch his balance with his wings.

What should I do now??

Antibiotics? Corid? Worming (again for some)?

I'm just so lost and I don't think this is just a cold like I was hoping. I've invested so much into this flock and I would be very sad to lose them.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    PS: There are no chicken vets around that I'm aware of...and if there is, I'm sure I can't afford them. :(

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The sickest one needs to be in a warm house and tube fed if he isn't eating.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And it's probably time to get antibiotic.

-Kathy

5. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    He was eating just fine, just slower than the rest.

Would a picture possibly help?

And all I have around here is Tractor Supply. Any idea what kind I should ask them for?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Weigh the sick one and one around his size, if he weighs less that the other he is not eating enough. I use kitchen scale.

7. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Going to town soon. Which antibiotics should I get?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't use the stuff they sell at feedstores, so I'm not the best person to ask.

-Kathy

9. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Do you think what they have will still be better than nothing as long as I administer it correctly?

10. choox

choox Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    they should have Baytril or similar at the feed store, but i havent used it myself. sounds like they need antibiotics now for sure.

luckily i havent had serious respiratory infections amongst my chooks but at any slight sign i give them oregano oil in their feed, or even dried flakes of oregano.
    is supposed to be a natural antibiotic and as far as i can tell it helps...but if the symptoms are getting severe they probably need something stronger.

good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by