Help! I need help with Breed and Gender on my Chicks.

ccoomber

Songster
10 Years
Aug 22, 2009
Redhill, UK
Do all your chick's have feathered feet? Then they are not any of the breeds you were told they were, because as far as i am aware none of these have feathered feet!! And i'm sorry but i think you have at least 3 boys, the only one who may be a girl is Turtle! Sorry
hide.gif

Quote:
The only one that doesn't have feathered feet is Cricket (who is my favorite because it's such a sweetie). I really hope I don't have 3 boys!!! I live in a neighborhood and I can't really have any Roos. I wanted Egg layers mostly. Thank you for the help so far.

I can't help with sexing the chicks - they're too young to tell (for me). But I did want to mention that there isn't a way to sex chicks by looking at their wings. There are millions of old wives tales, and maybe looking at the wings is one of them. However, it's just an old wives tale. If it actually worked, every hatchery would use that method rather than the expensive and labor intensive process of vent sexing at less than a day old.

Sorry you got snookered...

PS. Edited to add... I clicked through the rest of your pictures, and I agree with the PP. Angel, Cricket and the other one (forgot it's name) look like roos because of the very red comb and wattles. Turtle might be a pullet, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Thank you cynanthus, I tried reading about wing sexing and I think it only applies to certain breeds maybe? Not sure. I keep looking at photos of pullets and see them with the very red comb and wattles but not this small. I'm not sure what to do other than wait I guess. I wish I had a way of knowing.
Thank you for your help!!

They are probably are a little young so don't give up hope yet! But i would be suspicious of those red combs! I would post this again within the topic 'What breed or gender?' because it may help to know what breeds you do have. BO and Rhode island reds aren't supposed to have feathered feet. Maybe someone else can identify them for you. Some breeds like the Brahmas have feathered feet and i think both get redder combs earlier than other chickens, so worth a try.
Don't feel embarrassed by falling for someone saying they can accurately feather-sex your babies. i hear this only works on some breeds not all of them. When i got my first chickens the man i bought them from magnet sexed mine and said all girls, i ended up with 2 boys and 1 girl!
th.gif

Thank you so much ccoomber!
You made me sigh a small sigh of hope/relief.
fl.gif
The first time we went nobody helped us, they just said all the bantams are sold. I was getting 2 and my sister was getting 8. The lady said they were all supposed to be pullets but then she disappeared. So we commenced to just picking up chicks and avoiding what she had described as the Bantams. When we got to my sisters house we noticed several of them were feather footed and there was an extra chick in the box
hmm.png
oops! We did have a 4 year old and 2 year old with us, who both wanted to go head first in the bucket full of chicks. We tried to get her to check our box but she never came back. All we were told was that they were Buff Orpington and Bantams.

I am so totally lost now!!! I'm already attached to them and would really hate to get rid of any
sad.png

So I am a beginner. I have my first Chickens, 4. All of them were supposed to be pullets. 2 of them are supposed to be Buff Orpington Bantams about 5 weeks old. The other two were supposed to be Black Sex Link and Rhode Island Red Bantams..according to Southern States that are now about 4 weeks old. The girl at S.S's showed me a way to sex them with the wings, according to that they would all be pullets.
One of the 5 week old chicks no longer looks like a B.O but now a Rhode Island Red. The only one with any distinct look to me is the other 5 week old who definitely looks B.O.
The other two feel like mystery Chickens. I am going to post a link to pictures of all 4 and any help on Breed and Sex would be greatly appreciated!!! I think when getting the chicks I was given a lot of misinformation
sad.png
Not good for newbies!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 … 559a980b55 Sorry I haven't learned to post photos here yet.

I posted in Raising Baby Chicks and someone suggested I post here as well.

Back
Top Bottom