Help, I need the Marjority oppinion....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chick818, May 3, 2009.

1. chick818

chick818 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    My husband and I are debating over the type of chicken wire needed for our coop. We have been back and forth and then he went out and purchased some basic chicken wire (with some hardware cloth for the bottom) I have started a small argument over wether or not to use the basic chicken wire due to the size of the chicken wire holes. I have read that although small enough that chickens can not escape, they may be large enough for rats, small birds, and/or raccoons to reach in to and grab at them. What does everyone suggest. I will attach a picture so that you can get an idea of where the wire needs to go.

I should mention we live on a 1/2 acre in Western Suffolk Long Island. (about 1 hour from NYC) The predators we have here are Racoons, Hawks, opossum and Pests suchs as Squirrels, birds and Rats (on occassion).

Thank you all for being our mediator.... Don't worry no boxing gloves just yet lol...

The roofing tiles still need to be cut, but this is the work in progress....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I would go with hardware cloth!! chicken wire just isn't sturdy enough for me.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Based on the look of your backyard, you are probably in the city or very near one, and thus less predator prone than our "sticks" dwelling folks. If in fact this is true, regular poultry wire (netting) should be just fine.

I have regular poultry netting on all of my coops, I live in the city, and I've been fine. Never have had a problem...

4. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Quote:I agree with this. It's not much more money and you'll sleep better at night. My husband and I had the exact same debate. I live in the City and the first night my chickens were out, I had raccoon tracks all around my coop/run. I used hardware cloth and they weren't touched. If they happen to get through the chicken wire, they're all going to be wiped out.

5. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Go with the hardware cloth. Better safe than sorry. Good Luck.

6. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:I agree with Chris, but would still use the hardware cloth around the bottom 2 feet or so

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I guess I should point out that the floors of my coops are solid plywood that I keep shavings on top of, so predators can't pull on the feet.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If cost is a non issue go with hardware cloth, from the looks of it you shouldn't need much either. It looks as though your in a semi-urban area and critters should not be a problem.

AL

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you do live in a suburban area, you might check with animal control to see what you do have in your area. I think you'll find most suburban areas have raccoons, possums, weasels, and rats.

Not knowing your exact circumstances, I'd go with the hardware cloth. It is more expensive but it is added insurance.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you search through old threads on the forum, there are plenty of stories of both dogs and raccoons tearing through chicken wire, to kill chickens. A couple of people even posted pictures of the wire after the attack.

Even the more urban settings have dogs and raccoons. I would vote for the hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by