Help i need to know about roosters

Quote:
I have two roos, both who are great weenies around me because I don't pamper them. If they get nasty, I'll repeat the Campbell's Soup motto: "Soup is Good Food!" So are noisy and nasty roos.
lau.gif
gig.gif

Beekissed, more common sense, logical, animal husbandry based, intelligent recommendations in your posts on this thread than are usually presented. Congratulations on being the voice of reason.

So... Beekissed.... what would you do with a roo that does attack?? I've never coddled, hand fed or "tamed" my roo. I'm happy that he looks out for his girls. He even took an injury from a coon and saved them all in the process. (I did have to handle him a couple times daily for a few weeks while he recovered from his wounds). I think he does all the "right" things you've described. But I don't like it when I go into the coop to collect eggs and he attacks me while my back is turned. Nor that he chased my 10 year old son across the yard. I don't want to get rid of him because I'm happy with the job he's doing with the flock. But I also don't like that I need to keep eyes in the back of my head while he's around. Any suggestions for breaking him of this habit?? Or do I just keep a "weapon" with me when he's around?

Quote:
I know many on here would disagree...but the highlighted areas in the above paragraph are the things you should NOT be doing. Your roo is getting to the age of sexual maturity in roos....that little sideways dance? That is mating/fighting behaviour.

Any roo that is bold enough to jump up on your lap and bite you on the nose already knows who the boss is in the yard...and its not you. Pretty soon he will let you know, with no uncertain terms, exactly what this means.

Your roo is a bull, a ram, a billy buck, a stallion...only in a smaller package and with smaller horns(spurs). He can do an amazing amount of damage with those spurs if given the chance...particularly with children.

Pet your hens but keep your roo at a distance and never let him approach you boldly and directly. I know there are exceptions to every rule but you only have to read the inordinate amount of posts regarding aggressive roo behaviour to realize that these are not cats, bunnies, dogs or any other pet animals.

You may be petting his pwetty widdle head at 3 months and be fighting him off with a bucket at 5 mo. Respect the roo!!!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you so much for the great advice!!!!! He's pretty much avoiding me now and I am just grabbing him and picking him up and walking around with him (instead of sitting with him. Doing that with the two hens too). I guess it's time to let them be chickens instead of my babies. Thanks again!

Quote:
I know many on here would disagree...but the highlighted areas in the above paragraph are the things you should NOT be doing. Your roo is getting to the age of sexual maturity in roos....that little sideways dance? That is mating/fighting behaviour.

Any roo that is bold enough to jump up on your lap and bite you on the nose already knows who the boss is in the yard...and its not you. Pretty soon he will let you know, with no uncertain terms, exactly what this means.

Your roo is a bull, a ram, a billy buck, a stallion...only in a smaller package and with smaller horns(spurs). He can do an amazing amount of damage with those spurs if given the chance...particularly with children.

Pet your hens but keep your roo at a distance and never let him approach you boldly and directly. I know there are exceptions to every rule but you only have to read the inordinate amount of posts regarding aggressive roo behaviour to realize that these are not cats, bunnies, dogs or any other pet animals.

You may be petting his pwetty widdle head at 3 months and be fighting him off with a bucket at 5 mo. Respect the roo!!!
thumbsup.gif

Oh thank you You're so well spoken & seem to be hitting the nail on the head with this thread & no I didn't mean to rhymn! I felt panick rise in me when I read that very paragraph.

Quote:
Around here a Roo that chases *anyone* across the yard would be renamed soup or stew............ It may sound mean but if he catches your son when he is chasing as BeeKissed said the amount of damage those spurs could do might give new meaning to the word "mean".

Last edited:
Here's what I know,
If you don't let them know you are boss and you mean no harm they will attack.
They are friendlier than the hens if you raise them right and love snuggles.
smile.png

They can act just like dogs or just like... roosters, lol.
The good ones will search all day for food for the hens and give them a weird call when they find something good to eat.
They can crow non-stop at times... especially if you have three crowing at each other.
They do a funny dance around their hens.
If their only hen is broody, they will sit in the coop with her even if she is being crabby.
They always have an extra eye out, except when they are getting a hug from me.
big_smile.png

They can be dangerous when little kids are around if you don't raise the roosters right. (they can attack)
They all have different personalities.

And you can get so attached to one that you bring him to the vet when he's sick.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Treat them like a male animal that can inflict harm. Never assume that , since you have fed him and held him since he was a chick, that he will not harm you. It is best to treat roosters with a level of respect and keep him knowing you are boss roo or a potential predator.

Don't let him eat while you are there, don't let him breed while you are there, don't let him get too comfortable around you. Some roos don't need too much of this type of training, some do.

If you want a pet, get a dog or cat. If you want a flock master who is every vigilant, treat him like one.

Some folks can get by with petting and coddling a roo and never have a moment of trouble...but most of the posts on here complaining about aggressive roos start out "he was so sweet when he was little and would let me hold him and pet him" or " I have always fed him treats out of my hand, but now...."

These are roos that see you as a subordinate in the flock, or view you as no physical threat but something that is around his hens and must be banished.

Try to be neither and you should have a good roo experience. I've never had to cull a roo for excessive aggressiveness towards humans after schooling one to know that I rule the roost and not he.

A good roo calls out a warning when threats appear around the flock. A good roo attempts to protect his hens...even from you. A good roo knows that you are bigger, stronger, more aggressive and must be avoided for safety reasons. A good roo is not overly aggressive with hens and does not bully youngsters.

They crow...this cannot be changed. You do not need one in order for the hens to lay eggs.

That's about it....
smile.png

Well put, should be tacked up on every brooder/coop where there is a rooster as well as made required reading for all newbies!!

I agree & I think it should be made one of those sticky memos at the top of the behaviors subject/topic.

I have a Silkie roo and he is very gentle and has never been aggressive. This is my second Silkie Roo, and the first was just as nice. We named him Mr. Mom because he was so good with the chicks. Maybe this breed is less aggressive than some........

Back
Top Bottom