Help! I saved a turkey from being tossed out!

darbie27

Hatching
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Hello, I am in serious need of help. I went in to a feed store with the idea to pick up more chickens but then i heard the owner say she didn't know what to do and that she might throw this little turkey out i knew i had to help. Problem is im not really sure what to do , He is about three weeks and is not standing or walking. when laying down his legs stick out and it looks to have gone lame. Any advice to helpl save this little guy . Thank you

Last edited:
It's hard to offer advice without knowing what is wrong. I don't think of turkeys as having leg issues, so perhaps it is an injury?

all I can suggest is to put him in a brooder with a top (they fly), feed him game bird or turkey starter, about 28% protein. Put a little bit of niacin into his drinking water. It won't hurt him to put a pinch of plain yogurt into his water to keep his guts in good shape.

Be real careful he doesn't over-heat. Then cross your fingers and hope whatever is hurt heals.

Do his legs splay out to the side like he is doing the splits?

i have him in a brooder right now and have the turkey starter. from that the owner said is he was fine and then all of a sudden he just stopped walking when she got soldthe other chicks. He looks like he is becoming alert but just keeping my fingers crossed. he is still eating drink and having regular "movements" the only thing is the left leg sticks out and the right is just normal. Thank you so much for your advice i will try the yogart and niacin.

Back
Top Bottom