HELP- I screwed up!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spencer creek, Mar 24, 2009.

1. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I set 18 showgirl eggs on Saturday. Yesterday morning(Day 3)when I turned them in the AM I must have hit the power surge switch with the lid and shut it down. When I got home at 5 to turn I had eggs that were 65 degrees for 9 hours. Should I pitch them, or do you think they have a chance?
    Thanks

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I would not pitch them.
    It may just delay the hatch.
    Hopefully others that have had similar experiences will share them here.
    Good luck!
    Carolyn

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    They're probably fine. Let em warm back up and go on. Cold temps and cooling off do far less harm than over 105 for extended periods.

4. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    I don't know much about it, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Someone here will have better advice for you.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    They have a very good chance, don't give up on them. I'd keep them and candle.

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would give them a chance!! You will know more when you candle them

7. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    warm them back up and wait 5 to 7 days to candle according to how experienced you are with candling. Dont give up until you are sure have had worse things happen and had great hatches

8. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Hey, did you read the thread about the guinea fowl that were left freezing all day and hatched? Plus, someone else added to the thread about successful chick eggs that were left in the 30's! Nothing to lose but maybe some sleep from trying!

9. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I just went through a hatch where the power went out on day 10. It was out most of the day and although the house stayed warm it is still quite cold here and the incubator thermometer read 72 for several hours (like 6). As per Gail Damerow's instructions I figured that too much intervention might do more harm than good. When the power came back on the bator heated back up and so far 10 of the twenty eggs have hatched. Several hatched with crooked legs and feet but they have all pretty much streightened out as the chicks have been walking (stumbling, crawling) on the mesh of the incubator floor.

There are still some eggs hatching now on day 22 so obviously the hatch is delayed somewhat for some eggs, although not all. The last chick hatched so far was strong and normal although a little late.

I would carry on as if nothing had happened and be very slow about declaring the hatch finished and over so you don't lose any perfectly good stragglers.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...

10. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I had a serama hatch accidentally go down to 45 for 3 hours on day 17. I still had a good hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by