HELP! I theenk I need a beeger box for my Orps! Now With PICS

WVDan44

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
MD
Rats! I built a really nice built-in "cabinet" set of six nest boxes with two rows of three that have two hinged panels on the back for easy egg removal. the top row is probably three feet off the floor. Problem as I see it, I have bought some Orpington pullets, and I seem to recall the orps at the county fair were right big chickens. My boxes are 12x12x12 inside measurement. I don't think the hens will be able to fit their behinds in there.

Can anyone give me some advice on this please:/.

Do I need to build larger boxes all on the same level and remove the built-in unit? My pullets will be here in about two weeks. Here are some pics of my 8x12 henhouse, and the nest boxes front and back. I also included pics of my waterer which adds a bit of whimsy (I just learnt that word today) to the coop. What do you think?

63821_hen_house_001.jpg

63821_hen_house_004.jpg

63821_hen_house_002.jpg

63821_hen_house_006.jpg

63821_hen_house_005.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I have several Orps, quite fluffy big gals. They do fit into the 12X12 nest boxes, but they also prefer the extra, covered, kitty litter box nests placed in the coop for their comfort. I would like to get some Jersey Giant gals for my 2 JG Roos (so they can have some lady friends their own size), and the kitty litter boxes would be perfect for them.

One of my JG Roos got Into a 12 X 12 wall nest box WITH my BA hen. I could hardly believe it. You should have seen him try to maneuver around her just to get back out of it from behind her!!!!

I also set up two dresser drawers for "overflow" nesting purposes. This is my JG roo cozying up with a hen in it. As you can see, Bartholomew is one HUGE JG.

41679_blackbart-blackbarbieinnest.jpg

Dan, your boxes look fine...they aren't any smaller than the galvanized nesting unit nests that I've used for years. Sure, my big gals looked a little like they been put in there with a shoe horn but I've found they like a small, closed-in nest.

I didn't get to see what your waterer was running into? Are you doing a nipple style watering?

Is the pic of your roost a sample pic or is it the only roost you will have? I can't really tell how big it is by the pic...length and distance from the wall?

Love your cute little red coop!
big_smile.png

Hi Bee

Thanks for the critique of the nest boxes. One of my favorite features is the back that opens in the little feed room so I don't have to enter the hen's quarters to collect eggs. I also built in a small storage area and the top of the unit has a detached set of shelves sitting on it which should make it a handy piece of furniture in the feed room.

That picture I think you are referring to is not of a roost, it's the waterer... a length of PVC with three drink nipples. A hose runs from the old water cooler which sits out in the feed room to the PVC. I have a small L-shaped breather in the far end to ensure that the PVC is always filled with water. I can add ice to the water jug and cover it with a three inch thick styrofoam box that I got with a shipment of frozen beef. It's all passive and gravity fed. There will be a bucket waterer with two drinking nipples outside for easy access as well.

I haven't built the roosts yet. Was thinking of the ladder system with two or three perches of 2x4 that will be the same length as a formica countertop I picked up with a molded backsplash to use as a poop catcher under the roost. I figure it'll clean up nicely if I scrape it off and toss some wood shavings on it every week or so. The shavings will be great for the compost pile. Just trying to use stuff I have around the place.

Actually, I did a total make over of an old building I had hauled over here from the last place I lived about 10 years ago, and I just got around to doing something with it. Took me all summer working an hour here and an hour there to turn it into a hen house. I had it built as a kennel so it is well insulated and pre-wired should I decide to electrify it.

Now that the rain has stopped maybe I can get outside and add finishing touches. I'm about stir crazy, having stayed in all week.

Thanks to all who posted comments. It was very helpful and much appreciated.

What a cute idea!
thumbsup.gif
Any plans on how to keep the system from freezing this winter? I guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together on those two pics but I wondered where the hose ended up!
big_smile.png
At least you will have clean water delivery without the mess of other types of systems.

The styrofoam box keeps the water jug from freezing, and a heat tape wrapped around the clear vinyl hose should keep the water at a very nice temp. The temp seldom drops below 32 degrees inside the insulated, well ventilated coop except on some nights so the heat tape would keep it from freezing until sunup. I could put it on a timer to regulate it. Or could go conventional and give em fresh water whenever the ice formed. That's how we did it way back when. I'll just have to see if this set up works for me. If not, I'll come up with a plan B.

Back
Top Bottom