Help! I think I got 3 turkey poults by mistake!

mrs slugwall

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Maine
So I ordered 7 chicks from mypetchicken.com and they just arrived today and when I opened the box and got a good look at everyone there were an extra 3 big chicks! I think they are poults, they don't have a comb, just a weird fuzzy bump above their beak and their legs and feet and everything are twice as big as the chicks. Here are a couple pics, I think they may be Narragansett Turkey poults.

Last edited:
Oh, they are!! They're so cute! I got three poults this year for the first time and I LOVE them. They're so super sweet and, as my daughter likes to say, they have strangely intelligent eyes. We got Chocolate Turkeys. We have always kept them with our chicks, adding protein supplements for them since they do need extra protein. I know about the whole disease transmission thing, but I really am not worried about it. They're all 11 weeks old, super healthy, and get along well. Here's what I love: that lump is called a snood. And the red lumpy flesh grown turkeys have on their faces is called caruncles. My kids think Dr. Seuss came up with those terms.
smile.png

Oh goodness! I thought they were! I've never had turkeys before, always wanted to though, so happy accident!
what kind of protein supplement should I get? I have no idea what to feed them! They have been eating medicated chick starter.

I've read about the whole blackhead transmission thing but I have a ton of cayenne so I'm not too worried.

lol snood and caruncle do sound like Dr. Suess words.

I gave mine fish meal, meal worms, and Diamond V yeast. Not all at once, just a pile on the floor of one or the other every day. They all love it. They only need a tiny bit of the yeast. I love their peeps: peep peep peep peep peep! peep peep peep peep peep!
lol.png

Last edited:
Turkey starter or game bird starter are good feed for them. Chick starter does not have enough protein and the babies could develop angel wings because of that. Angel wings are not as cool as they sound.

Thank you!

lol I actually told my grandmother, who was in the car on the way home from the post office, that I had never heard a chick peeping like the one in the box, peep peep peep! it sounded like a little song lol!

I'll look around at turkey feeds, I want them to get everything they need to be healthy.
I also saw somewhere on here that people were feeding them scrambled eggs for protein too.

Back
Top Bottom