Help!! I think I killed my eggs

iampogue

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
Biloxi, MS
So I am new to hatching out my own eggs. My husband is the resident chicken guru, but he is out of the country right now. I wanted to surprise him and build an incubator and hatch out eggs for his return. I made my incubator out of an old cabinet. With that said, here is the issue.

I candled the eggs at day 1, day 7, and day 16. I see growth and movement. My temp would fluctuate between 99 and 101. So I wasn't worried about that and my humidity would go between 50 to 53. I ran the system for a couple days before I put the eggs in to insure that everything was running smoothly. On the morning of day 18, I did one last rotation and ensured that everything was good to go. I went to bed that night with my temp at 99 and humidity at 60. When I woke up on the morning of day 19, my light bulb went out and my humidity was at 70 and my temp was at 70. I immediately went to the store and bought a new bulb. (lesson learned: always keep extra supplies on hand). Not sure what I did wrong, but the new bulb is holding the temp at 97 - 98 degrees.

Now I am on day 23 and only one egg has cracked and pip. Did I kill my eggs with the drop on day 18? Should I wait a little longer. I am not seeing movement and I am not hearing any sounds. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

The drop in temp shouldn't have hurt anything. I had a 7 hour power outage when my eggs were on day 10 and the temp fell to 68 degrees. They are all still fine, no harm done.
What I think may have happened is too high of a humidity percentage. If you incubated at 50% the whole time the eggs wouldn't lose enough moisture and the chicks would drown at internal pip. Maybe you'll still get some out of it though.
If I can offer some advice, I'd say chalk this run up to trial and experience. Read up on dry incubation. That works well for me. I keep the humidity low, like around 20% for the first 18 days, and raise it up to 50% for lock down.
Good luck to you. And congratulations on getting an incubator built. It's not the easiest task to do.

Above advice as well as consider running two bulbs at the same time if space allows - if both are working you'll warm up quicker and if one fails you'll still have one remaining.

Even in my tiny cooler I run 2 60 watts bulbs:

Thank you both for you input. I am definitely going to add a second light bulb before I start it up again. I am also going to try running the humidity lower. I did crack open a couple of eggs and going from what I found on the internet, it appeared to be somewhere around day 18 and then other appeared to not have taken at all. Maybe it was just infertile.

I am going to chalk this run up to experience. So now I am finally ready to hatch eggs!
smile.png

Interesting info about dry incubation. I have had mine set at about 40-50% for the 9 days so far. Is this too high?

I would drop it a bit. Again, check the thread regarding dry incubation. It seems that folks are having good hatches by running even dryer than the original dry incubation recommendations. I think the important thing is to increase it to 65% when you go into lock down.

Back
Top Bottom