Help, I think my dog broke a bone in his foot...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by toddntiff, Aug 23, 2008.

1. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    This morning my chocolate lab was fine, he went in and was laying down and the next thing I know he is limping incredible bad on his front right leg. When he's just standing still he holds it up. I inspected it thouroughly and don't see any redness, swelling, bites, open wounds, etc. I did a leg and foot check and he pulled it away when I touched his 3rd "toe" just behind the nail.
    What should I do? If I take him to the vet I know they'll want to x-ray him and what could they do for broken "toe"?? If I can take care of it at home I would much rather do that. Thanks for your help!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    if i were you..i would just watch him closely...if it dosent get any better in a day..bring him in...but my dogs have all had "mystery boo-boo's"...i just use my judgment..and watch them very closely....sometimes one will come in limping..and i say.."ooh great, another vet bill"..lol...but they turn out to be fine...the key is, to use your judgment,you know your dogs..follow your gut on it..[​IMG]..good luck..Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by