Help i think my dusk is sick

LorraineM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
I have been going to come in here for 3weeks but time has just been too busy.
wink.png

I bought 2 Pekin ducks approx 4weeks ago (first time i have had ducks, i have 4 chickens that are seperated from the ducks), things were going fine till about 5/6days ago.

Both were growing rapidly and very lively, but one seems to have stopped for the last 3/4 days and now seems very poorly. I noticed it more so yesterday morning 'She' is just very lethargic. She was still munching on her 'chick starter' but this morning has lost interest in eating. She seems so much lighter than the other one, even in the last couple of days. She just lays around looking sad now. The weather here is quite warm, but not too hot and they both love their pool (well my poorly one isn't interested in that now either) They both have access to clean drinking water at all times.
Unfortunately, i am unable financially, to go to a vet and i will admit i had no idea how to raise ducks before now.
hmm.png

(i have food questions too but will tackle them later)

Thank you
sad.png

Could she have eaten anything she shouldn't have?

Have you tried giving her electrolytes and vitamins?

Has she been given niacin supplements?

Ditto Kevin565, try vitamins and electrolytes, niacin supplement.

Keep her warm enough, not too warm. Let us know more when you can.

Sad to know she is having trouble.

i doubt she could have eaten anything she shouldnt have but as i have allowed them onto a small patch of grass for the last week, i can't be sure.

The rest i know nothing about ...sorry
(Have you tried giving her electrolytes and vitamins?
Has she been given niacin supplements?)

Could you help me with that please. I am going to the 'shops' shortly is there something i could buy for her ?

Last edited:
she is caged outside at night and free roam a smallish grassed area in the day.
Do you think she may have had too much sun ? They have a shelter spot to go to
but they do get some quite warmish sun till about 10.30 / 11 ish.

I have them both on my veranda today, with pond and food. Should i bring her inside and box her with blankies ?
Should i seperate them for this time ?

omgoodness
sad.png

try vitamins and electrolytes, niacin supplement.

which and what one's should i get ?

Personally I would go for all of them. If you had to narrow it down I would go with electrolytes and Niacin.

Electrolytes can be found in the baby section. Make sure to get them WITHOUT Iron. Niacin can be found in most drug stores. Just make sure to not get the slow release ones.

ok thank you SO much i will do that now.
I will post here when i am back - 20mins as i may need advice on how to and how much.

BBS (thank you thank you )

It's no problem at all. Here at the duck section we all have each other's back and are always willing to assist each other.

I wish your duck a speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom