Help i think my dusk is sick

I'm sooo sorry! I kept hoping the last post would be good news. I'm sitting here crying like a baby, I know how painful it is to lose a beloved duck. Sending you virtual gentle hugs.

Michelle

I am so sorry. Ducks are so special and even an iron hearted person would cry.

Two years ago, we lost a Peking female and I cried.

Sorry to hjack your thread but right now, one of my Pekings is fighting for her life. I posted a thread in the disease section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/725982/duck-force-feed-help

She is improved a bit under the medications (48 hours now) but not eating much except a few peas. She is quite weak because she has not eaten for about 5 days. That is my next challenge. Somehow I need to give her more protein and calories. I appreciate any suggestions.

See if you can get some poultry Nutri-Drench. It has calories and a few critical vitamins.

Meantime, you can make some gruel . . . soak rolled oats in water, let the duck drink the water. Even adding just a touch of sugar may not be a bad idea . . . perhaps others can chime in, I know some have done that to get calories into a sick duck.

Thanks, Amiga. From suggestions by others on the other thread, I ordered some baby bird formula and will starting feeding her tomorrow. In the last two days, I have been feeding her baby food with some egg yolk using a syringe. Some apple source for her medications (also using syringe).

I want to see her happy again.

Thanks, Amiga. From suggestions by others on the other thread, I ordered some baby bird formula and will starting feeding her tomorrow. In the last two days, I have been feeding her baby food with some egg yolk using a syringe. Some apple source for her medications (also using syringe).

I want to see her happy again.
fl.gif
keep us updated please.

I would like to thank you all for your help, knowledge and kindness during this time.
It certainly upset me more than i thought it would. Even now i have a few tears just reading back.
But 'she' is at peace now.

My other duck is doing fine :)
I actually don't think 'she' is fretting or lonely by the looks of her.
I have been introducing the chickens into 'her' part of the garden to get them all used to each other
3 of the chooks are fine there's just one that has the occasional run and peck at the duck
which gets her my thong thrown at her :eek:
She (the chook) gets a little better each day so hopefully she will learn the yard isnt just hers.

Now i am going to do a lot of reading learning in here, it is wonderful.

I'm popping over to loubapache message to see how her Duck is doing.

thumbsup.gif

My duck keeps improving. She is eating her own food now but I still need to give her medications for another 4-5 days. I let her out swim twice today because it was warm here in Michigan. She still walks a little slow because she lost a lot of weight and is only slowing gaining strength.

Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom