Help! I think my hen has botulism!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stlfarmchick, Dec 31, 2010.

1. stlfarmchick

stlfarmchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    After researching her symptoms, I have concluded that my hen has botulism. She is still holding her head up so I am hopeful that we can still help her. Does anyone have any suggestions for remedies?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Has she been exposed to fungi that may have caused the botulism? I know that it's hard to tell what they've been eating but generally animals avoid eating things that aren't good for them.

There have been a few cases, including one of my hens, of a Vitamin D deficiency that can cause similar symptoms of botulism. In my case, my hen was staggering, walking sideways and crouching continually. On a recommendation from a BYC member, I broke open a capsule of Vit. D and E and put a couple of drops in their food, which had been wet down to porridge consistency, and mixed it well. Within a couple of days she was a little better and all symptoms were gone within a week. I now do this for them once a week because we've been really cloudy this winter.

You might also put vitamins and electrolytes into their water.

Good luck, Mary

4. stlfarmchick

stlfarmchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks! I will try the vitamins and flush ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by