Help! I think my hens are killing our new rooster

I didn’t do an integration. I was told that because he was male, he would be fine if I just added him to the flock.
I always do an integration for 2-3 weeks. See but no touch.
I have a friend you just through the rooster in, the ladies ganged up on him and he remembered who did the ganging up. He was okay but he would protect the food and not let any of the ladies that ganged up on him eat, only the ones that were nice to him.
They could kill him or there may be consequences later on too.

I always do an integration for 2-3 weeks. See but no touch.
I have a friend you just through the rooster in, the ladies ganged up on him and he remembered who did the ganging up. He was okay but he would protect the food and not let any of the ladies that ganged up on him eat, only the ones that were nice to him.
They could kill him or there may be consequences later on too.
Oh boy. That sounds rough. I hope that doesn’t happen in the future. I wish he had a little more angst in him. He doesn’t seem to ever stick up for himself.

Thank you. I will definitely do this. I don’t see any wounds or feather pulling. Just a lot of animosity and bullying. It’s one particular pullet that starts it all. I’m wondering if she was the alpha female before he came around?
What you are witnessing is very typical chicken behavior. They are establishing a pecking order. It’s what chickens do. Unless they are pinning him down, pulling out feathers and pecking him mercilessly (drawing blood and causing open wounds), it’s not likely that they will kill him.

What you are witnessing is very typical chicken behavior. They are establishing a pecking order. It’s what chickens do. Unless they are pinning him down, pulling out feathers and pecking him mercilessly (drawing blood and causing open wounds), it’s not likely that they will kill him.
That’s a huge relief. I haven’t seen any of the violent behaviors. Just bullying mostly. I feel bad for him, but am hoping with some weight gain and overall size increase he will be alright.

That’s a huge relief. I haven’t seen any of the violent behaviors. Just bullying mostly. I feel bad for him, but am hoping with some weight gain and overall size increase he will be alright.
As he matures, he will be able to stand his ground and eventually become your flock leader. You may once again witness some behaviors that are difficult to watch, but again - chicken society at work. If he starts pinning your hens to the ground and violently pulling feathers or drawing blood, you may want to consider separating him for a bit, but I wouldn’t worry about it right now. Plenty of space and hiding places for him are essential right now. More than one feeder, even better if he can eat at one without being seen by the hens.

How are you handling him? I believe that can make a difference in how he acts toward his human keepers. What has worked for me is, hands off as soon as I recognize a cockerel. I make sure from the start that my cockerels know that the coops are mine, the hens are mine, the food is mine, and everything in their world is mine. I do this by acting confidently around them. I walk through them to get from Point A to Point B. If I see one giving me the stink-eye or looking like he’s contemplating something, I look directly at him and walk toward him, making him move out of my way. Sometimes I’ll just move him away from the food or water because I can. Sometimes I’ll just walk toward them until they back up. I haven’t had a human aggressive rooster since I’ve been raising them this way. That could change, of course, but it’s worked for years so far.

Here comes another option:

As the age difference is still an issue at this young age and RIR hens are known to be quite brutal, you could separate the little guy with one of the more docile hens in a see but don't touch area right along the others for 7-10 days. Then add another hen and so on until he is acquainted with 5-6 hens and they get along well.

Then remove the partition and let them mingle all together.

I tossed a 10-12 week old CM cockerel in with girls like that once. He proceeded to fight (no damage, just flogging and feather pulling) each one as they came at him. And won each time. After about fifteen minutes, the old EE had enough and went for blood. Little feller went back for more three times back to back before she pinned him and started being overly zealous.

He never did cover her. But the rest were his after first day. Sometimes it’s truly not about the size of the rooster in the fight, but the size of the fight in the rooster.

Sounds like you have a gentle little guy. Separating him with a pullet buddy would probably work best. Integrating chickens sucks sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom