HElp I thInk?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kera!, Mar 24, 2011.

1. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I have 15 new chicks and the light brown leghorn seems to be the sleepiest and maybe a little sluggish ..I am trying not to freak out..but it would be horrible if it died ..no pasty but should I just keep dipping the beak in sugar water ..I think I am paranoid my kids love these things they are trying to hold all day long,,dont want any to die..

2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    He may be being overhandled, both by you and the kids.

Also, it happens sometimes that a chick is just unhealthy and there is nothing that can be done. There WILL BE CASUALTIES when raising chicks.

I have one daughter, and though she clamors to pet and hold the chicks when we have them, I severely limit handling them especially when they are so young and fragile.

Also, I have NEVER fed my birds sugar water.

3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    chicks sleep. I would stop handeling it. Is it sleeping a lot or never moving. There is a bid difference between the two.

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I know it's hard when they're so darn cute, but try not to over handle them.

Like other posters said, limit 'cuddle the chicks' time. I honastly only handle mine

15-20 minutes a day, and by handling I mean petting, not holding.

I spend the rest of the time with them just watching them sleep, play and eat. [​IMG]

Chicks sleep ALOT I wouldn't worry. I'd even stop dipping his beak in sugar water,

and let him rest.

[​IMG]

ScissorChick

5. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Thanks for the help I watched for a long time I think she wasnt eating,,she is better she is smaller than the others and made the kids leave them alone....thanks everyone..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by