Help. I tried posting this on the GLW thread, but got no response.

I suggest you try pinless peepers. The device is very inexpensive, harmless to the bird, cuts down on forward vision, and could at least slow down her predations, if not curtail them altogether.

I have a seven-year old GLW and boy was she ever a terror in her youth! She's still the only one in the flock who hates me, though she's long ago given up her bullying ways.

Thank you. I have followed you on another thread and I feel much better with your input. I have ordered some peepers, so hopefully that will help. I don't want to send her to the freezer prematurely.

I have to agree with oldhen that they tend not to do well confined. I had some when out in the country and they were nice but in town OH MAN.
I have 2 right now and both are holy terrors in the coop.
Pinless peepers is a good idea.

Best wishes.

Babs

The pinless peepers worked! My sweet Evelyn has feathers coming in and Agnes is leaving everyone alone. She even sat still in my daughter's lap while I put them on. I think I was more nervous than she was. Agnes has also started laying, so hopefully that will even her out some too. Peepers stay on for the rest of winter. Thank you all so much.

thumbsup.gif

woot.gif

Glad it is working for you!!!

Update. Came home yesterday from work and found all the new feathers pulled out and a bloody bottom instead. Agnes actually had blood on her peepers. At a loss. She is segregated in an old dog crate, but it's not really big enough.

You might need to find her a new home, sounds like she's not a good fit for your flock and coop.

You can place an ad on the local feed store bulletin boards. Ask the clerks if they know anyone looking for a hen. The local paper, American classifieds is one we have here for wide distribution. It used to be called Thrifty Nickle but changed for some reason. Maybe your area also has a similar newspaper. This one is free to pick up but costs to place an ad.
Craigs list is an option but I would never meet anyone alone to do the exchange. I also would not let anyone come to the house for it.

It really sounds like she needs to go.

I was thinking that too. Not really sure how to do that.  I'm the only one I know around me that keeps chickens.  I'm kind of a loner.
You sound like, that's why I would cull her or I'd make a coop just for her, 21hens has good advice for finding another home, it is possible that she will mellow out as she gets older, some young hens are similar to teenage girls who eventually grow up and gain some sense.

Part of your problem is the ages of your birds, chicks can easily be introduced to adults, but you are introducing children to children, which can be tricky, especially as one is sexually maturing and wanting to show everyone she's in control.

Back
Top Bottom