Help! I was given these roosters. What breed are these? PICS

They are good together, no fighting. Just got them yesterday along with 5 hens, Ameracauna. The lady that had these said they came from a different person than the hens.

You post had me curious..So I went to feathersite...I was thinking some sort of leghorn due to the single comb and the white lobes, but all varieties of leghorns that i can find have either yellow or white feet. The one that is the furthest away in the pics seems to have white shanks, but the one closer to the camera looks to have slate colored legs. They have so many different varieties of leghorns now, I would venture a guess of a silver duckwing Leghorn (dont know how common these are....your two could also be mixes with leghorn in the background)

Newbie with a dumb ???
In a mix do you always get identical or almost identical chicks? If so does that make a new breed?

BEAUTIFUL ROOSTERS!!!

This is my thoughts on it: When you are crossing two different varieties there is always going to be a chance that they will be a little different. But if you breed say a barred rock to a barred rock, you are going to have barred rocks. There are throw back genes that can pop up from time to time, like a single combed wyandotte.

As for the new breeds, this is often how new breeds are introduced. But with doing this, once you get your crosses to a point that you are breeding for, they have to breed true. I dont know if I am making sense or not...

If you take your crossed male and females (now of the same variety/pattern) and cross them, the male chicks should nearly exactly like the dad and the female chicks should look nearly exactly like the female.

I hope I have made sense, if not someone will come and clarify that is way better with genetics than I am..

Back
Top Bottom