Help!! I was told rid of my hens!

thedudeabides

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
I just received a letter from the city of Chico, CA that I need a use permit for my 2 hens. I think a spiteful neighbor ratted me out. The only problem is the permit costs $1400 because chickens are grouped in with livestock. I have to get rid of my chickens by June 14!!! We are devastated. On the bottom of the letter it says I can appeal, in writing, the determination. Does anyone know how to construct such an appeal? I am under the gun since I only have a week.

Thanks

Last edited:
no idea, but here's hoping someone from CA will step in with some advice for you. Good luck -- I really hope you don't have to give up your 2 chickens, and $1400 sounds like a RIDICULOUS amount for a permit to keep chickens. Any way to get an exemption??

I do not know but heres a bump and hopefully someone else can tell you. My guess would be to first call the city clerk or whomever you recieved the letter from and see if there is a certain criteria that they require on the letter response.

I am not sure on the exemption. I am heading to the city office this week to find out what I can do.

Check your state laws on local ordinances. State laws will trump any local laws. $1400 insane!
somad.gif

I don't know but I think I read somewhere that someone was allowed to keep their "therapy chickens". It's worth a try!

CA doesn't have "state" ordinances. I am about 90 mins south of Chico, in our unincorporated area any lot over 10,000 sq ft can have chickens. However, the city states we cannot have chickens. There is a big movement to change the law. As for Chico, i am not sure how to get around it. Ask them if they really think that in CA it is a great use of resources to track someone's chicken keeping? Don't know about anyone else but i think i would prefer said police officer that will have to clean all this up was out keeping criminals off the street, maybe said policeman could be collecting up the early release prisoners.........

Stupid neighbor, stupid ordinance, stupid "permit" cost. Shame sticking your middle finger up at stupidity wont get you far. Good luck though, as you can tell I get mad at stupid......

I will post in just a few minutes in the L.O.R.E. section of BYC a number of the laws regarding chicken-keeping in Chico. Just finishing up researching. Give me a little longer...

Back
Top Bottom