Farmington Hills - HELP! I might lose my Girls :(

nsaltmarche

Hatching
Jan 2, 2024
Hello Everyone,
I live in Farmington Hills (Kimberley Sub Division). Currently, I have 4 beautiful hens. Just before Christmas I received notification from the city that I must get rid of my chickens. Farmington Hills DOES allow chickens, however, the distance (from neighbors) is severe - 175 feet. Can anyone please help me to prepare to appeal this situation? I will do anything to keep our girls...they are so sweet, they have a beautiful coop/run, we have a fenced in yard and none of the neighbors have issue with them.
If you have already gone through this issue or you have suggestions...or are willing to support
A8D67A2D-FB8A-4A5A-A026-B159ACE07238_1_105_c.jpeg
...I
005E6269-50AC-495A-B7E7-99C142884E25_1_105_c.jpeg
will be forever grateful.
Please reach out to me - I welcome any information/input/suggestions.
Hopeful Chicken Mom,
Nicole Saltmarche

Hello Everyone,
I live in Farmington Hills (Kimberley Sub Division). Currently, I have 4 beautiful hens. Just before Christmas I received notification from the city that I must get rid of my chickens. Farmington Hills DOES allow chickens, however, the distance (from neighbors) is severe - 175 feet. Can anyone please help me to prepare to appeal this situation? I will do anything to keep our girls...they are so sweet, they have a beautiful coop/run, we have a fenced in yard and none of the neighbors have issue with them.
If you have already gone through this issue or you have suggestions...or are willing to supportView attachment 3717541...I View attachment 3717542will be forever grateful.
Hopeful Chicken Mom,
Nicole Saltmarche
I have not gone through this, but I would get written notice from your neighbours that they are fine with the chooks, also document the coop/run and show it’s clean and secure.

I would maybe take some video of them. And also if you can show precedence of the benefit of the chooks in other high density urban areas that would helpful.

Good luck!

Hello Everyone,
If you have already gone through this issue or you have suggestions...or are willing to supportView attachment 3717541...I View attachment 3717542will be forever grateful.
Hopeful Chicken Mom,
Nicole Saltmarche
So sorry you are going through this! I am not sure why they are not permitting you to have chickens if they are allowed. Unfortunately I do not know how to fight this. I pray you are successful in your appeal.

I have not gone through this, but I would get written notice from your neighbours that they are fine with the chooks, also document the coop/run and show it’s clean and secure.

I would maybe take some video of them. And also if you can show precedence of the benefit of the chooks in other high density urban areas that would helpful.

Good luck!
Great advice!

Good luck!
Good advice from Ponypoor. Do you have kids or grandkids because if so that is another point to make that by making you get rid of your chickens they are taking away valuable learning experiences from children. You are contributing to the betterment of the environment in your neighborhood by raising chickens that provide free and healthy pest control and free natural fertilizer. You are also providing a quality food source with the eggs. If your neighbors don't mind the chickens your city shouldn't either. Enlist your neighbors help with petitions, letters and have them go with you to city council meetings and help you plead your case. Also contact your local elected government officials and have your neighbors do the same. Elected officials want to get re-elected so they should want to help you get the law amended to allow you to keep them.

Farmington Hills DOES allow chickens, however, the distance (from neighbors) is severe - 175 feet. Can anyone please help me to prepare to appeal this situation? I will do anything to keep our girls...they are so sweet, they have a beautiful coop/run, we have a fenced in yard and none of the neighbors have issue with them.
I would start by carefully reading the rules, and taking some measurements.

You mention 175 feet. Is that supposed to be from the neighbor's house, or from their property line? Is it to your coop, or to the edge of your run?

Then measure how much distance you actually have.

If the chickens are not far enough from the neighbors, measure some more to see if there is any place you can move them that will be far enough away.

This will tell if you need the city to just re-measure and agree you are fine, or if you need to move the coop & run, or if you need to try to get permission to keep your chickens without meeting the distance conditions.

So sorry you are going through this! I am not sure why they are not permitting you to have chickens if they are allowed.
OP said why: chickens are allowed IF they are a certain distance from the neighbors. The city says these chickens are not far enough from the neighbors.

Hello Everyone,
Hopeful Chicken Mom,
Nicole Saltmarche
If chickens are allowed but due to the size of your lot you can't meet a distance requirement, you may be able to apply for a variance or barring that appeal the decision.

“Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.” ~~Dalai Lama

And good luck!

Hello Everyone,
Hopeful Chicken Mom,
Nicole Saltmarche

If your neighbors don't mind, how did the city find out you have them?
I suspect one of them is a little nazi wanna be.
I agree with the suggestion of reading all the regulations and ordinances. Dig into the city/town bylaws and charter documents.
You would be surprised what can be found there.
For example, and I don't know if this is still true, but in Boston you could graze a cow on the Boston Common. That little gem goes back hundreds of years.

Back
Top Bottom