Help ID a couple of chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sparks Coop, Jun 17, 2010.

1. The Sparks Coop

The Sparks Coop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Sparks, NV
    This one has furry legs and I have no clue if it is a hen or not. It is 11 weeks old.

[​IMG]

This one I think is a leghorn? Also no clue on sex either. This one is also 11 weeks old.

[​IMG]

2. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    You might get more replies if you posted this under "What Breed or Gender is this?" Just a helpful opinion. To answer your question though, number one is a boy, and number two is a girl. Hope that helps!

3. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    Some sort of Brahma mix and a leghorn. They look like hens, but you never can tell.

4. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    brahma and leghorn are my guesses too

5. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    the white one is a white rock. See the red ear lobes...you'll get a brown egg [​IMG]

6. The Sparks Coop

Jun 17, 2010
    Sparks, NV
    So when do the spurs begin to show? How soon will I know if they are roosters??

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You'll see more pronounced wattles and combs long before you see spurs. Those really take some time. On average, a year or more for any appreciable growth. [​IMG]

As to possible breeds, it looks like there is either golden Brahma or maybe speckled Sussex in there someplace on the brownish one. Most likely a cross breed. Where did you get them? Did you hatch them yourself?

8. The Sparks Coop

Jun 17, 2010
    Sparks, NV
    Quote:You'll see more pronounced wattles and combs long before you see spurs. Those really take some time. On average, a year or more for any appreciable growth. [​IMG]

As to possible breeds, it looks like there is either golden Brahma or maybe speckled Sussex in there someplace on the brownish one. Most likely a cross breed. Where did you get them? Did you hatch them yourself?

Thanks for the response! I got them from the local feed store, they order from Privett. I guess if they crow I will know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by