Help ID my flock

11mini

Songster
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Lake Stevens, WA
I bought these "layer hens" from the co-op, which is the closest thing to a chicken breeder around this area. I have had these three hens(?) for one month now:

Lucy, my BO started laying one week after I got her. She laid one small egg on Sunday then no egg Monday, but has laid an egg every day since then for the last 3 weeks. She weighs almost 5lbs

Molly, my RIR(?) has not laid any eggs yet but has started squatting, so i think it will be real soon. She weighs 3.75lbs. Not real sure how to tell if a production red or RIR?

And then there's my BR "Maggie".Barely 3lbs, no eggs, doesn't squat, very narrow pelvis. not submissive at all. She(?) will squirm and try and get away if you put your hand on her back and does not like being held. Not sure of the age on any of the three other than I guessing the BO is around 24-25 weeks now, she has been laying 3 weeks.
Any insights on age/sex/breed? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The first chicken looks like a red sex link. The second one looks like a RIR. The third one looks like a Barred Rock. All of them look like hens.

The first chicken looks like a red sex link. The second one looks like a RIR. The third one looks like a Barred Rock. All of them look like hens.
welcome-byc.gif

I agree!

- BantamLover55

Xs 3

You can tell productions from RI by the tail. Productions have white in their tail feathers, RIs have black. Your first pic is the wrong color for a BO.

Last edited:
It's always hard to capture the right color perfectly in a picture! BOs won't have those dark tail feathers though

Here's a pic of one of my BOs. See the evenly color tail

Here's good comparison for production vs RI. The production is up front with white tail, RI laying down with black tail
400[

Back
Top Bottom