Help ID my small flock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snakecharmer, Jun 13, 2009.

1. snakecharmer

snakecharmer In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Kansas City, KS
    I would like to see if anybody can help me ID these. My flock consists of 6 and I believe 5 are pullets and one I believe to be a rooster but not 100%. My father in law hatched these from a batch of mixed eggs he got from a cousin and he kept 9 that he was sure were roosters. Most of his are crowing by now but mine hasnt really crowed but does make noises like he is trying. These were all hatched on the same day and are about 15 weeks old.

Here is the flock all together
    [​IMG]

this is the one I believe to be a rooster
    [​IMG]

This one is interesting because it has a little mohawk
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    No idea but here is a friendly bump

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No idea what breeds they might be, but you are correct about the one rooster.

4. porteryork

porteryork Songster

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Two EE's and 3 Black sex links?

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Songster

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    They are the best breed you can have "mutts". It looks like some small breed birds like game fowl. The one with the mohawk is a Silkie mix; notice that she has 5 toes.

6. snakecharmer

snakecharmer In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Kansas City, KS
    Quote:What is an EE? Are the red headed ones the ones you think could be sexlinks?

Quote:She does indeed have 5 toes. We thought it was like a birth defect or something. So silkies all have 5 toes?

7. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    I have not clue what breeds might have been mixed here, but you sure have a beautiful flock. I would agree on your rooster suspect - looks very much like a boy.

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Songster

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:The red headed ones appear to be an EE mix. EE - Easter Egger

9. kenman

kenman Songster

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    This is just my guess, but I bet the cousin has a Black Australorpe rooster who is the father of all these. Your rooster looks like a BA/ Rhode Island cross. Your darkest black pullet looks pure (?) BA. The other black is BA/RIR cross. The two redheads are BA/EE cross. And the one with the mohawk: silkie (5 toes), EE and BA. In any case, they are beautiful birds and I can't wait to hear what colors the eggs are!

10. It looks like you have a few mixed chickens. they seem to have some game fowl characteristics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: