Help ID mystery chicks

Updated pics of “Ugly Duckling”?
And the CM is a male
Ugly Duckling turned into what I'm thinking is a silver spangled Hamburg - an appropriate fairy tale ending.
20211130_091748.jpeg

It is the middle of the three black and white ones in this picture.

Why do you say the cuckoo Marans is a rooster, for my education? The size of the comb at this age, or. . . ?

Ugly Duckling turned into what I'm thinking is a silver spangled Hamburg - an appropriate fairy tale ending. View attachment 2914754
It is the middle of the three black and white ones in this picture.

Why do you say the cuckoo Marans is a rooster, for my education? The size of the comb at this age, or. . . ?
Aw, she’s pretty!

It’s because it has male saddle feathers.

Wow, those Marans both had me fooled with their skin color as babies! I do agree that your Cuckoo Marans is a male as you can see his masculine saddle feathers emerging between the tips of his wings on his back.

Any update on Pterodactyl and the other Red babies? I didn't see them in your recent batch of pictures.

Wow, those Marans both had me fooled with their skin color as babies! I do agree that your Cuckoo Marans is a male as you can see his masculine saddle feathers emerging between the tips of his wings on his back.

Any update on Pterodactyl and the other Red babies? I didn't see them in your recent batch of pictures.
Well, one got eaten by a hawk, as did one of the dark chipmunk-striped chicks :( The remaining two red ones look like very standard Rhode Island Reds or production reds; I think poorer breed quality is why pterodactyl's feathers were so odd. They don't like playing outside as much as the others do, so they didn't come out for pictures.

Aww, I'm so sorry for your losses! I lost one of my tiny Old English Game bantam hens just last week to a hawk as well. It definitely stinks when the native predators scope out your flock. :(

Pterodactyl feathered in properly at least, then? Looks pretty cold there!

Yes, they've all feathered in nicely. I'm impressed with how well they're doing. It's not too cold yet, freezing overnight and light snow that melts in the daylight, but they all come pouring out of the coop when we open it in the morning. During the day they alternate between resting inside the coop, and then it's like someone flips a switch and they all come tearing out again like there's an emergency need to scratch around. :D

That's good! They sound precious! :love Yeah, chickens don't seem to mind the cold all that much, generally. Sounds like your weather's similar to ours here. Mother nature can't decide if it's winter already or still fall here!

Back
Top Bottom