Help Identify Bantam Chicks

Pics
It does seem like a lot of white, but I bet it will be a white crested black. Our black Cochin had so much white, I thought she was going to be silver laced like the other four. It took a while for the white to go completely, but it did all go.
Someone else said that but it will shock me! I haven’t had one change that much. I’m so interested lol

Poor Bonnie. Are you giving him something to help with his eye? (I think you are right about him being a boy)
I had a tube of erithromyecin ointment for kids and I read it was similar to the chicken eye med and ok. Since we’re social distancing I decided to try it out. That’s why it looks all wet and goopy it’s the meds. Seems to be helping

You are so kind! I think you have brought the most smiles to my daughter's face lately, so thank you for that. I must admit that I have smiled a lot thanks to you as well. What a small world! Wilson isn't that far. I'm sure you're missing your students and enjoying the break, all at the same time. Today was the first time my daughter was sad and said that she misses her friends at school. This new "stay at home order" doesn't change much for us, as we've not been going out for anything except essentials. I hope you and yours are doing well in these uncertain times.

We'll happily pay you for whatever opposites you might have to any of ours. That has just given me even more exciting anticipation! I believe I am worse than a child when it comes to self control with chickens! I am so proud of you for managing your flock so well. Teach me your ways, please. I need to either rehome or possibly process 2 cockerels (almost roosters--will be 1 yr mid May) but I just can't do it myself. They are just so human aggressive and it's getting worse. I feel so guilty for the other guy that is in their bachelor Flock. He is amazing so I can't imagine getting rid of him. I'll probably put him with my big girls, but I worry the 5 of them won't be enough for him. He was a very polite gentleman and made the other 2 guys behave, last week when I allowed them to interact. So I believe he will be be good for the girls, but I worry he might change once he loses his bachelor flock. It could make him and the big girls a better flock, so it's worth a try. I was hoping to put my little guys with my 1 nice big guy, but oh my, the little guys were so nasty to him! They were relentless! My big guy seemed to realize that he was dealing with littles and went easy on them, but it was too bloody for me, so I separated them. Maybe little chickens are like little dogs and have "big chicken complexes"? It's such a pleasure chatting with you
We just got rid of three roos/cockrels. There were too many and our only big guy was getting aggressive. My daughter picked him out of an EE pullet bin. My girls were carrying rakes and brooms around the yard to fend him off. Usually, it was me he went after. After a couple of swift kicks backwards, I would catch him and carry him around the yard, asserting MY dominance and pecking him on the head with my finger. It worked for a while, but he was a big jerk. We had a day that we were supposed to take him and learn how to process him. I had a nightmare that I not only had to process some chickens, but two of our cats as well. Called her and said I just couldn't do it.
Now our Cochin, Ed is trying to take his place. Blueberry is the littlest, but thinks he's the biggest. I think it's party of the OEGB attitude. Tiny, our little girl, would take on that big roo. He cow-towed to her, but I think it was because she was a girl. I was glad to give home to someone my neighbor knows. I worry that some of the people I sold chickens too last spring were going to use them as bait birds for cocke fighting. I don't mind if they kill and butcher because it's a quick death. Letting one get beat up to the point of death, then leaving them in a trash can to die is just sick. I still worry about the Belgian Quail pullets and their fate. I wish I had let my daughters talk me in to keeping them.
We are down to 5 roos/cockrels; two bantam Cochin, two d'Uccle and Blueberry.
Oh! We have two hens that just hatched some babies!
Scrunchie and her two:
20200326_143313.jpg

20200325_175708.jpg
20200325_175759.jpg

Ebony's babies
20200326_183811.jpg

You are so kind! I think you have brought the most smiles to my daughter's face lately, so thank you for that. I must admit that I have smiled a lot thanks to you as well. What a small world! Wilson isn't that far. I'm sure you're missing your students and enjoying the break, all at the same time. Today was the first time my daughter was sad and said that she misses her friends at school. This new "stay at home order" doesn't change much for us, as we've not been going out for anything except essentials. I hope you and yours are doing well in these uncertain times.

We'll happily pay you for whatever opposites you might have to any of ours. That has just given me even more exciting anticipation! I believe I am worse than a child when it comes to self control with chickens! I am so proud of you for managing your flock so well. Teach me your ways, please. I need to either rehome or possibly process 2 cockerels (almost roosters--will be 1 yr mid May) but I just can't do it myself. They are just so human aggressive and it's getting worse. I feel so guilty for the other guy that is in their bachelor Flock. He is amazing so I can't imagine getting rid of him. I'll probably put him with my big girls, but I worry the 5 of them won't be enough for him. He was a very polite gentleman and made the other 2 guys behave, last week when I allowed them to interact. So I believe he will be be good for the girls, but I worry he might change once he loses his bachelor flock. It could make him and the big girls a better flock, so it's worth a try. I was hoping to put my little guys with my 1 nice big guy, but oh my, the little guys were so nasty to him! They were relentless! My big guy seemed to realize that he was dealing with littles and went easy on them, but it was too bloody for me, so I separated them. Maybe little chickens are like little dogs and have "big chicken complexes"? It's such a pleasure chatting with you
I have enjoyed the chat also! I do miss my students and coworkers. We had a video conference/faculty meeting yesterday. The conversation was business, but the typed chat was everyone saying hi to each other. Got to see the new babies, since the moms hadn't gotten back to work yet before the closing.
Had a little one run up to me at Walmart for a hug, and got hugs from former students (they move us 'specials' teachers around on a whim). Social distance or no, when I get a hug from a student, I don't decline. They are my babies, almost as much as the ones I birthed.

Guess what?! I’m getting more incubator eggs! I have 4 in but I don’t know that they’re good. I’m getting 6 more tomorrow. Black copper Marans and light brahmas. It’s our home school project lol
I'm so jealous! Can you adopt me and my daughter, please? (I'm kidding about the adoption but not about being jealous!) I'm so excited for you! I have 3 Marans Crosses - 2 cockerels - BCM over cream leg bar~ they were breeding for olive Eggers~ and 1 Midnight Majesty Marans - Hoover Hatchery's mix of one type of Marans over another type of Marans (she's gorgeous! Looks like a giant heavily feathered crow, except for her comb and wattles). Have you hatched a lot in your incubator? I picked up a second hand incubator but later found that it's not highly rated here. I need to purchase a fan, a good thermometer, and hydrometer. I wanted it to hatch some goslings that are too expensive for me to purchase already hatched. I've found a member here that sells hatching eggs, but I don't want chicks and goslings being brooded at the same time. This will be my first experience with geese (except for a pair of Canada Geese that stay here while "Goosie" sits on her nest. Once the goslings hatch, they leave soon after but come back when it's time again. I truly believe it's the same pair every time. They're not afraid of or aggressive towards us. I was told that they have really good memories, so it's probably the same ones) but if they're anything like ducks, they're sooooo messy. I'd like to wait until they're the only little ones being brooded since they really require so much. Plus, I brood everything in my dog grooming shop, so I have to work in there and need to keep it somewhat clean and smelling nice. My shop isn't that big either. The brooder takes up my entire bathroom. It's too stressful and dangerous to have the brooder in the main part of the shop. Dogs will be crazy trying to get to it, noises from the blow dryer and vacuum are way too loud for little ones, dog hair and dander flying around, and then the dog purfume could harm their sensitive lungs. It's best if they stay in the bathroom so I'm able to close the door if necessary. How are the chicks doing today? I had to change the shavings in the brooder at first light this morning. It was a little messy and I started worrying about them, so I just quickly cleaned it out. The chicks always get upset when I first put them back into a clean brooder, but they quickly figure it all out and calm down. They think every single thing is trying to kill them, even a wood shaving in the wrong place. It's got to be tough to be so far down on the food chain.

@tn_artist, my daughter and I went to TSC earlier this evening. My 7 month old silkie is broody so I wanted to get some chicks to sneak under her. I've been trying to find some splash silkies but have had no luck. They did have some bantams that were mostly black with white wings and super fuzzy. No vaulted skull or poof, and I can't remember if they had clean legs/feet or not. Any idea what they might be? I might go back first thing in the morning if we figure it out. They also had some brown chicks with yellow bellies, and some solid brown ones. I can just barely see the bantams without holding my neck in the most awkward way, so I was unable to snap a picture. I desperately want sebrights and polish, but I am not experienced enough to figure out what's what. I have learned to recognize when a chick is barred, at least I think I have ~ they have a white spot on top of their head, right? I'm sure I mentioned it already but last year we chose a bantam chick that was black with a little white and a perfect white "C" on his head. He's a Barred bantam cochin named "Carlos".

I got this tiny cheap incubator lol. Everything is manual but it seems to work good. It’s a brinsea which have good reviews. It was on clearance at tsc for $30 it holds 8 turkey eggs I believe so not sure if it’s big enough to hatch a goose lol. I’m all new to hatching we’ve never had a roo.
The 4 eggs we have now are barnyard mixes. I don’t think anything is happening though. The 6 I ordered to pick up are 3 light brahmas and 3 black copper Marans. I have a couple easter eggers and I’m getting an Easter egger room from a friend so I was hoping I could breed them. Maybe get some olive eggers.
We just built an Ohio brooder and it works amazing. They can brood outside (in a shed or something). We built it from scrap lumber and I think we only spent $8 on lights. Maybe check it out. My friend told me and now I’m all about it! My bantams aren’t out there yet they’re in my laundry room haha. The standard chicks are in with my turkeys and doing great though.
I’m still not the best at identifying these guys. Maybe google the color and bantam and see what you can find. Another option is to call your tsc and see what hatchery they use then look at the pics on their website of breeds they carry and narrow it down (full disclosure I got ducks that the hatchery didn’t carry though!)

Back
Top Bottom