Help Identify New chicks

stacyAsalomone

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 2, 2016
The only chickens I have every had were white leghorns that are rescued from battery cages. For Christmas I got two 6 week old (I was told) chicks but have no idea what they are or if they are male or female. Can anyone help identify them?

I'm not sure the what breed the top of is, but it's a cockerel.

The second one looks like a Blue Cochin, but because I can't see the comb, I can't be certain about the breed or gender.

It is really hard to see the top bird clearly, but I *think* that is a rosecomb, which leads me to believe that it might be a Wyandotte, and with the golden markings around the head, may be a Gold Laced Wyandotte in early juvenile molt (white chest, which should fade out to full color). Wyandottes come in a lot of colors, so it could be Partridge, or another lacing type. I also think it highly likely it is a male.

I agree the second one looks like a Blue Cochin, but it would have to have a single comb to be that, which I cannot see.

LofMc

EDITED to add, to help identify the comb types...at this age...a rosecomb will look like a horseshoe with an indent in the middle oriented so the luck runs down the beak. A single comb will be a ridge of teeth, like a comb, down the head to the beak. A pea comb will be harder to discern at this age from a single comb, but it is softer little bumps going down the head to the beak.

Last edited:
here is a closer pic of their comps. Does it help? Can I ask how you tell if they are male from pic?

Thanks for all the information!!!

If he's hatchery sourced, there's no telling what his temperament will be like as he matures. One hen will not be enough though, you need at least 6 or 7 more if you are going to consider keeping him.

I have to keep him... I'm in love!!!!!
Then you need a lot more girls for him. Young cockerels are randy fellows, think teenage boys full of raging hormones. They tend to want to breed the girls non-stop. If you don't have more girls to 'spread the love', so to speak, your single pullet will be overwhelmed and stressed by his constant attentions and may be at risk of serious injury. Boys are not gentle when mating.

Back
Top Bottom